Roster 2018-2019

Chair: Kent LaCombe
Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Ken Furuta
Secretary: Swati Bhattacharyya
Delegate: Janet Reyes
Alternate Delegate: Dani Cook
Past Chair: David Rios

Parliamentarian: Manuel Urrizola
Alternate Parliamentarian: Carla Arbagey

Representatives to LAUC Systemwide Committees
Diversity: Carla Arbagey
Research and Professional Development: Dani Cook
Professional Governance: Cherry Williams

Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, and Elections
Chair: Kat Koziar (2nd year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)
David Rios (1st year)

Committee on Diversity
Chair: Carla Arbagey (1st year)
Ying Shen (2nd year)
Michael Yonezawa (1st year)

Committee on Personnel
Chair: Ken Furuta (1st year)
Jessica Geiser (1st year)
Swati Bhattacharyya (1st year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)

Committee on Research & Professional Development
Chair: Dani Cook (1st year)
Kat Koziar (2nd year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)

Committee on Professional Governance
Chair: Cherry Williams (1st year)
Kat Koziar (1st year)
Christina Cicchetti (1st year)

Committee on Programs
Chair: Janet Reyes (1st year)
Judy Lee (2nd year)
Michele Potter (2nd year)

Committee on Mentoring
Chair:

Academic Senate:  Representative to

Committee on Courses: Christina Cicchetti
Committee on Library & Scholarly Communication:

CAPA-L:
Chair: David Rios
Kat Koziar
Yoko Kudo
Robin Katz [1st alternate]
Kuei Chiu [2nd alternate]

 

Membership Meeting: May 25, 2018

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees: Kent LaCombe, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect; Ann Frenkel; Janet Reyes; Michael Yonezawa; Carla Arbagey; Ying Shen; Kuei Chiu; Manuel Urrizola; Rhonda Neugebauer; Christina Cicchetti; Andrew Lippert; Eric Milenkiewicz; Noah Geraci; Michele Potter; Swati Bhattacharrya; Kat Koziar
Called to order at 11:10 am by Kent LaCombe, presiding in the absence of David Rios

1. Acknowledgment of new and departing LAUC-R members
Kent welcomed Andrew Lippert, Special Collections Processing Archivist and our newest LAUC-R member. Andrew received a custom-made LAUC-R mug as a welcome gift.

Rhonda Neugebauer, currently the Collection Strategist for Arts and Humanities, is retiring after 17 years of service at UCR Library. Kent acknowledged the many contributions Rhonda has made to LAUC-R, diversity, the library, and librarianship generally. She spoke of her efforts assisting libraries in Cuba as being a particularly meaningful part of her career. Rhonda received a certificate of appreciation and two custom-made LAUC-R glassware items.

2. New Business
a. Due to the lack of a quorum, the minutes from the March 26, 2018 meeting could not be approved. Kent said that the minutes will be sent out for approval via email.

b. Kat stated that LAUC-R elections are currently in progress. The ballots include LAUC-R candidates, choices for LAUC officers, and a change to the LAUC bylaws. Choices for CAPA-L members were also included on ballots sent to LAUC-R members who are eligible to vote for CAPA-L candidates.
As stated in an email to LAUC-R members, there were no candidates for LAUC-R Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect. The ballots include an opportunity to write in a nomination. If a nominee is identified and accepts the nomination, a special election will take place to vote for the office.

c. Committee reports
i. CCRJE – Kat reported that members have had the opportunity to comment on proposed changes to the bylaws. The committee is now separating out some portions of the existing bylaws to standing rules. The process is going fairly quickly. CCRJE is also awaiting input from another committee regarding one section of the bylaws.
ii. Programs – Janet reported that the May 10 presentation by Trina Ray on the Cassini Mission to Saturn was a success. A link to a video recording of the program is available. Michele mentioned the hard work Janet and committee members did behind the scenes as the result of last-minute complications.
The committee will coordinate a program in mid- to late August, which will be a virtual reality experience.
iii. Kent said that the Diversity Committee invited a speaker, who declined. No other activities are in the works.

d. The year-end meeting will be on August 31, from 11:10 – 12:00 in Orbach 240. Refreshments will be served.

e. After the departure of Kimberlee Frederick, no one is currently coordinating the Library Insider. Kat and Michele suggested that this outlet of creativity, reviews, and news sharing could be kept going in the form of a zine. Individuals could contribute a page, and when enough pages are received the zine could be compiled. A few hard copies could be distributed, and if desired a digital version could be made by scanning the pages.
Page contributions for the first zine can be sent to Michele or Kat.

Meeting adjourned 11:35 am
Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary

Membership Meeting: March 26, 2018

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees: David Rios, chair; Ann Frenkel; Janet Reyes; Michael Yonezawa; Carla Arbagey; Judy Lee; Jessica Geiser; Zayda Delgado; Ying Shen; Kuei Chiu; Manuel Urrizola; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Dani Cook; Robin Katz

Called to order at 11:10 am by David Rios

1. LAUC-R Chair’s remarks
David thanked the UL for assigning him to participate in the Greater Mexico/U.S. Latinx cluster hire. Two new faculty members from this hire came to campus in Fall 2017. One of them is Tara Yosso, author of the book Critical race counterstories along the Chicana/Chicano educational pipeline. David read a brief passage from the book. He noted that many of the sources in the book are in our collection, thanks to Rhonda. David also shared flyers regarding the California Citrus State Historic Park, a California Historical Society exhibit on LA Chicana/o murals, and the Riverside Tamale Festival.

David mentioned that Ken Furuta was chosen to be the CAPA-L second alternate in the off-cycle election held in January.

2. New Business
a. Due to the lack of a quorum, the minutes from the January 26, 2018 meeting could not be approved. David mentioned that the minutes will be sent out for approval via email.

b. David read Michele Potter’s notes from the LAUC State Assembly which had taken place on March 23 at UCSF Mission Bay campus. Among the key points discussed at the Assembly were: the lack of a candidate for LAUC Vice-President/President Elect in the upcoming election; the need to revise LAUC Position Paper 5, which was written in the 1980s; and the passage of a resolution honoring the first Secretary of the Board of Regents as the first UC librarian.

c. Committee reports
i. CCRJE – Carla reported that the committee has reviewed the bylaws and made proposed changes in the following areas: grammar and punctuation; rules for succession; and committee sections, including raising the issue of revising or dropping the Mentoring committee.
The CCRJE also noted that the section of the bylaws relating to CAPA-L needs revision (especially regarding how to deal with vacancies), but wasn’t sure whether it’s appropriate for CCRJE to make those revisions.
LAUC-R members are encouraged to look at and comment on the proposed changes by accessing them here: http://bit.ly/laucr-bylawsRevision. Hopefully the edits can be completed prior to the LAUC-R elections in May.

ii. Research and Professional Development – Dani reported that three travel grants were received from LAUC. LAUC-R members need to submit requests for using their professional development funds, and get approval, by March 30. After that, members can apply for using the pool of unused funds. Nicole Valencia is keeping the balance sheets for this.

iii. Programs – Janet reported that the next LAUC-R Professional Brown Bag will be on April 18, when Bergis Jules, Robin, and their colleague Ed Summers give a presentation on the DocNow app. On May 10, Trina Ray from NASA JPL will return to give another talk on the Cassini Mission to Saturn. UCR Library is cosponsoring the event with LAUC, which will be held from 4:00 – 5:00 pm in HUB 269.

Meeting adjourned 11:38 am Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary

Membership Meeting: January 26, 2018

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees:  David Rios, chair; Steve Mandeville-Gamble; Ann Frenkel; Janet Reyes; Michael Yonezawa; Judy Lee; Carla Arbagey; Jessica Geiser; Zayda Delgado; Yoko Kudo; Swati Bhattacharyya; Manuel Urrizola; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Kat Koziar; Michele Potter

Called to order at 11:10 am by David Rios

Announcements

  1. Carla announced the upcoming LAUC Statewide Assembly on Friday, March 23 at UCSF.
  2. David called attention to the 1/24 email about Commencement ceremonies and urged librarians to attend at least one.
  3. David also reminded attendees that ballots are out for filling the vacancy for the CAPA-L 2nd To be counted, ballots must be submitted to Janet by 5:00 pm on Monday, January 29.

University Librarian’s remarks

Creating a gender-inclusive restroom in Rivera is a project now in the Capital Programs Management System. Criteria include that the restroom is located close to staff, accessible, and well lit. Plans are to convert the women’s restroom on the first floor of Rivera Unit 1 with six stalls and a baby-changing area to be gender inclusive. Two of the stalls will be converted to enclosed urinals. Meanwhile, the adjacent men’s room will be converted to a women’s restroom. Many variables could affect when the construction phase starts, but Steve hopes it will happen by the end of summer.

LAUC-R Chair’s remarks

David read excerpts from two books: My memoirs: climbing up the downstair escalator by Ameal Moore, and Joy Inc: how we built a workplace people love by Richard Sheridan. Passages from the former book related to dreams and optimism inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr in the author’s kickoff speech to a successful bid for the Riverside City Council Ward 2 seat; passages from the latter involved ideas from tech software firm Menlo Innovations on the atmosphere of a successful workplace: being authentic, qualities of effective leadership, thinking outside the box, and that success follows joy (more so than the reverse).

New Business

  1. Due to the lack of a quorum, the minutes from the meetings of September 18, 2017 and November 30, 2017 could not be approved. David mentioned that the minutes will be sent out for approved via email.
  2. Each member present was given a couple of minutes to share about professional accomplishments, LAUC-R business, impacts of reorganization, or other information of interest to colleagues.

Meeting adjourned 12:05 pm

Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary

Cassini’s Legacy: Saturn’s Secrets Revealed, Tuesday, May 10

Trina’s presentation, Cassini’s Legacy: Saturn’s Secrets Revealed will be on Thursday, May 10, from 4:00 – 5:00 pm in the HUB, Room 269.

If you attended Trina’s talk in Orbach last May, you know what an engaging speaker she is! If you missed it, here’s your chance to experience her humor, knowledge, and behind-the-scenes insights about one of the landmark scientific programs of recent times.

Trina was the Cassini Science Planning and Sequencing Team Deputy. In that capacity, she focused on the exciting end-of-mission planning, which made headlines on September 15, 2017 as the spacecraft disintegrated in Saturn’s atmosphere.

Click here for further information and to register. Refreshments will be served.

Call for Nominations

CCRJE is accepting nominations from the membership for three elected LAUC-R officer positions for the 2018-2019 LAUC year:

  • LAUC-R Chair Elect (three year commitment)
  • LAUC-R Secretary
  • LAUC-R Delegate

Nominations should be submitted to Kat Koziar by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9th.  Voting will be open May 15th – June 1st, 2018.

Bylaws proposed revisions – opportunity to provide your input

LAUC-R Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction and Elections (CCRJE) had made proposed updates and revisions to the LAUC-R bylaws. In light of the fact that LAUC-R elections are scheduled to occur in May, this is the optimal time for you to review the proposed changes and add comments or ask questions. The link to the proposed bylaws has been provided through LAUCR listserv. Comments are accepted until April 30.

Membership Meeting: November 30, 2017

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees: David Rios, chair; Kent LaCombe, chair-elect; Steve Mandeville-Gamble; Michael Yonezawa; Judy Lee; Noah Geraci; Dani Cook; Cherry Williams; Manuel Urrizola; Christina Cicchetti; Ying Shen; JJ Jacobson; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Kat Koziar; Krista Ivy; Brianna Marshall

Called to order at 11:10 am by David Rios

  1. LAUC-R Chair’s remarks
    David reiterated that the provost indicated librarians are allowed to participate in commencement (per UL email November 3, 2017). There is some concern that if no one does, that privilege could be lost.
    David and Carla met with the university chancellor. They provided information on LAUC and LAUC-R.
  2. University Librarian’s remarks
    The School of Medicine is considering several spaces in the ground floor of Orbach Science Library for its research and learning activities. The answer is pending, although the provost favors Orbach. The School of Medicine is currently evaluating various options.
  3. New Business
    1. Committees
      • Filled positions
        • Pending membership approval, the CCRJE alternate is Judy Lee; Patricia Smith-Hunt has joined the Committee on Professional Governance and Ying Shen is on the Committee on Diversity for another term.
        • Manuel Urrizola is our alternate parliamentarian.
        • Dani Cook is the Library/LAUC-R representative on the Academic Senate Committee on Courses.
      • Professional Governance: Will meet Dec 1 at 3:30 pm.
      • Research & Professional Development: Has received two applications for LAUC grants. The committee is open to working with the Programs Committee on programming related to professional development.
      • Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction & Elections: The committee is reviewing the bylaws for various improvements in content and grammar, as well as updating items that are out of date.
      • Programs: Is cosponsoring a program entitled “The Multigenerational Library Workspace” with the LAUC-R Diversity Committee. Carla Arbagey will be presenting.
        The committee is considering having a follow-up to the Cassini program of May 2017. The first Brown Bag Professional Series presentation was by Kat Koziar, Michele Potter, and Krista Ivy in late October: a preview of their presentation to CLA about the origin of the Creat’R Lab.
      • Diversity: Is cosponsoring the “The Multigenerational Library Workspace” program.
      • Mentoring: No update.
      • Ad hoc committee on LAUC-R web presence: David has formed this committee. The first meeting is scheduled for December 1.
      • Comments from the floor
        • Michael talked about onboarding/mentoring documentation on the UCLA website.
        • Judy stated that in some instances LAUC-R programming can be open to wider audiences.
        • Dani said that the Teaching & Learning librarians are working with new people, including faculty members.
        • On the subject of Academic Review: the LAUC-R website could use more information related to peer review in relation to employee review.
        • Clicking on links to the LAUC-R wiki from the website requires you to log in to the wiki.
        • The LAUC-R website is public-facing; the wiki is a workspace for documentation and collaboration.

Meeting adjourned by consent 11:55 am
Minutes prepared by Kent LaCombe (notetaker) and Janet Reyes, Secretary

Membership Meeting: September 18, 2017

Orbach Science Library Room 240

Attendees: David Rios, chair; Kat Koziar, past chair; Janet Reyes; Steve Mandeville-Gamble; Ann Frenkel; Alison Scott; Carla Arbagey; Michele Potter; Christina Cicchetti; Cherry Williams; Michael Yonezawa; Judy Lee; Robin Katz; Swati Bhattacharyya; Noah Geraci; Rhonda Neugebauer; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Krista Ivy; Ying Shen

Called to order at 2:00 pm by Kat Koziar

  1. 2016-2017 LAUC-R Chair Kat Koziar passed the gavel to David Rios as he is LAUC-R chair for 2017-2018. Kat thanked David and also presented him with a binder containing LAUC-R information, as well as a couple of small gifts relating to stress relief.
  2. The University Librarian will have a time slot of up to 10 minutes at membership meetings. Steve intends to use it to share important happenings on campus and in the library.
    • The Center for Teaching and Learning will be opening up soon in the former Government Publications offices in Rivera. Dani Cook will be on the steering committee; the director will be Perry Link, who reports to the VPUE.
    • Construction in the Center for Spatial Sciences is nearing completion, and may be ready for occupancy this week. Serge Rey is the director, and two faculty members have been hired. Steve will invite Serge to talk at an all-staff meeting.
    • The Chair of the Academic Senate Committee on Courses invited Steve to submit the name of a representative from the Library to attend meetings. This person would serve as a liaison between the committee and the UL/Library/LAUC-R, for example to share news of any proposed courses that may impact the Library significantly.
    • The Library is very close to reaching an agreement with the preferred vendor for the new ILMS.
    • Steve, Wendy Williams-Clark, LAUC-R, and CAPA-L representatives will meet tomorrow with VPAP Academic Personnel to go over The Call review procedures and timeline. This meeting should help minimize the types of communication issues that arose last year.
    • The announcement for our search for a new AUL for Collections was released last Friday.
  3. Committees
    • LAUC-R Guests serving on Committees: While this is contrary to Bylaws Article III.3, it’s been allowed by a specific motion for the past two years and was renewed for 2017-2018 in the Executive Board Meeting of 8/31/17.
    • Roster of Committees: the roster was reviewed and updated. Members are still needed to fill the following vacancies: Alternate member of the Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdictions, and Elections; member of the Committee for Professional Governance; and Alternate Parliamentarian.
      Rhonda moved to accept the roster; Judy seconded. MOTION CARRIED.
    • Academic Senate LAUC-Representatives: While it isn’t certain that the Chair of the Academic Senate Library and Information Technology Committee will request a librarian who would be a guest on the committee, volunteers to be considered for that position are welcome should the opportunity arise. Similarly, nominations/volunteers are requested to serve as the representative on the Academic Senate Committee on Courses (see 2c).
  4. Meeting Ground Rules Draft: David presented a list of rules that will be tried this year in conducting LAUC-R meetings. Suggestions are welcome. The LAUC-R Meeting Rules (Draft) document also includes a copy of the UCR Principles of Community. (See 5.b.i. below)
  5. Remarks by the LAUC-R Chair
    • David encouraged members to try new ways of doing one’s work this year.
      • Example: David’s brown bag presentation 9/6/17 on his research regarding the Agua Mansa cemetery.
      • We could have a brown bag series for librarians to share their research or their presentations made at conferences or elsewhere.
    • His priority for the year is to work on particular points raised in the recent survey of LAUC-R members: increased support among colleagues; increased opportunities to learn about new situations faced by colleagues; and better communication.
      • Examples: the LAUC-R meeting rules (see #4), and allowing meeting attendees two minutes to speak, with a possible extension of another two minutes.
    • Another goal: review of the bylaws, preferably in stages. Some items could be moved from the bylaws to a set of newly-created standing rules.
      • The bylaws make no mention of the LAUC-R website or webmaster. Yoko has been serving unofficially as webmaster. If members see any changes needed to the website, please inform David or Yoko.
      • Open to suggestions on how to make LAUC-R run more smoothly.
    • Executive Board meetings are open to all LAUC-R members unless the Board goes into Executive Session. Minutes for the Exec Board meetings of 8/31/17 and 9/13/17 were shared as attachments to the email sent out for this membership meeting; in the future, the secretary will routinely send out the minutes of Exec Board meetings.
    • David would like to see at least two candidates for each position on the ballot in the May 2018 elections.
    • Idea for a panel or presentation: librarianship outside the US. Three colleagues who were approached on the idea are agreeable to being part of the presentation. If the idea sounds interesting, please email David or Janet (chair of the Committee on Programs).
    • If the tone of any LAUC-R membership meeting makes an individual feel unsafe, it is OK to use the parliamentary procedure “Question of Privilege.” As explained by Michael (Parliamentarian), this is a motion to recess (for five minutes, for example).
    • Highlights from the LAUC Transition Meeting 8/28/17 and Conference Call 9/7/17
      • The LAUC Assembly will probably be in March 2018 at UCSF.
      • The LAUC chair (Carla) gave the following charges to the LAUC committees:
        • Research and Professional Development: review grant guidelines and PDFs
        • Diversity: list diversity resources
        • Professional Governance: review Position Paper #5.
      • By the first Wednesday of every month, let David know of any news or accomplishments that would be appropriate to share during the Round Robin portion of the LAUC conference calls.
  6. Partial survey results (opinions about LAUC-R) were shared out via email prior to the meeting. Members can give feedback at the November meeting.
  7. Cherry moved to adjourn the meeting; Kat seconded. MOTION CARRIED.

Meeting adjourned 2:45 pm Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary