Location: Orbach 240
Members Present: Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Kuei Chiu, Ann Frenkel, Kent LaCombe, Angela Lee, Judy Lee, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer, Sharon Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Alexandra Dolan-Mescal (Guest).
Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:06pm.
- Carla stated congratulations to newly-elected LAUC-R officers: Kat Koziar chair-elect, Secretary Kent LaCombe, Delegate David Rios, Alt Delegate Judy Lee; CAPA-L members Michael, David, Judy, and Krista.
- Patricia indicated that CAPA-L will be sending a survey to everyone who was involved with the Academic Review process during the last year. She encouraged those who receive the survey to be responsive and timely in their feedback.
- Ann stated there are many upcoming changes in library personnel: Dani Cook will be joining us on Monday July 18 as Director of Teaching and Learning. Her office will be in Rivera in Krista’s office. Krista will be moving to Anthony’s old office. We have received a signed acceptance letter from Swati Bhattacharyya, who will join us as the business librarian the second week of October. CAPA-L has approved the Geospatial Information Librarian candidate as part of the acceptance process. The Director of Research position will be reopened once the campus recruitments for the previous fiscal year are closed. Denise Kane’s last day will be this Friday, July 15, 2016.
- Kuei asked for an update on the system-wide election. Carla won the position for Vice President. At the time there was no number regarding the voter turnout.
- Approval of Minutes
- No Quorum. Michael suggested approving the minutes by acclamation through email. Approved minutes must reflect this type of approval.
- System-wide Update (Carla Reporting)
- LAUC Transition Meeting is at UCI. Carla and Julie attending.
- Research & Professional Development Webinar. Dana Peterman is supposed to be putting a webinar together. Keep an eye out.
- Jerrold Shiroma (UCM) will take over from Julie Lefevre (UCB) as webmaster in August.
- Task Forces formed by Diane Mizrachi will continue into next year: Web Content, Archives, and eVenue
Web Content is divided into three areas: Web Manager, Social Media Coordinator, News Content Coordinator
- Join LAUC on Linked In! https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7057206
- UCOLASC (University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication) Meeting Notes
- Praise for the Data Curation Common Knowledge Group (CKG) new video, Research Data Matters” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr722k7NyGU, a project co-led by our own Kat Koziar! Kat added that the project is still in assessment, and feedback is welcome (http://guides.lib.ucr.edu/uclibrariesdataservices/feedback)
- Open Access initiatives
- Pay it Forward report and model will be available soon
- eScholarship is undergoing a rebranding; however, Rhonda heard it might be on hold.
- Carla referenced the email Alison had forwarded containing a link to a blog post (http://gavialib.com/2016/07/hearty-congratulations-california-or-on-magical-thinking/) countering the Chronicle of Higher Ed article (http://chronicle.com/article/The-U-of-California-s/237044). There was comment on the irony that the Chronicle’s article is behind a paywall. While 25% participation is still far away from the goal of 100%, it is incremental and positive progress compared to the vast majority of other institutions in the U.S. Nebraska has ~40% deposit rate; however, Kent shared that they had staff dedicated to help faculty upload. Tiffany stated the UK has ~95% upload rate, but additional institutional funding is tied to participation. Kat mentioned if our institutional funding was tied to upload rate, the campus administration would figure out a way to harvest and upload from the faculty efile system.
- Michael asked if there is a report regarding usage of the deposits, indicating we could use this type of data to incentivize participation.
- A comment was made that perhaps articles aren’t being found as Open Access because search results are pointing to the published journal article, and not an OA repository. A question was posed if UC-eLinks could include a link to eScholarship if the article is available there.
- Rhonda requested people can contact her about depositing articles/scholarly work in eScholarship
- ACRL released a policy statement supporting and encouraging OA when academic librarians publish (http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2016/07/acrl-issues-policy-statement-open-access-scholarship-academic-librarians)
- Retirement of note throughout the UC Libraries System: Dan Tsang at UCI, Ruby Gutierrez at UCLA HAPI; Nicholas Meriwether at SC/Grateful Dead Archivist leaving, Libbie Stephenson at the Social Science Data Archive (UCLA), Davis AUL for Collections Gail Yokote retiring
- Check the LAUC website, http://lauc.ucop.edu for the latest LAUC minutes – they have a lot of good info to read through, such as the full reports from our reps to UCOLASC, SCLG, SLASIAC, DOC, Shared Library Facilities, Campus reports
- Call for volunteers: Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees
- Carla is charging creation of a task force to review the LAUC-R committees. Requests the task force to be 3-4 members, whose work should entail only about two meetings. Would like to know which committees should be retired, combined, or adjusted. Work should be completed by end of August, with a resulting brief 1-page report.
- Sharon provided background information that LAUC-R has more committees than any other campus.
- Sharon volunteered to serve on the Task Force, though not lead it.
- Formal charge is forthcoming.
- Committee Reports:
- Personnel: Julie reporting. Last job descriptions reviewed was Technical Services, Digital Assets Metadata Librarian.
- Programs: Rhonda reporting. We had a nice year.
- Research & Professional Development. Julie reporting.
- Still no report from Lee; there have been no quarterly reports for FY1516. Librarians are encouraged to send in any overages for reimbursement.
- Do not know if the $1500 has been extended for FY1617. Carla stated the Union is requesting $2000/librarian in the contract negotiations.
- LAUC Grants will be available in fall. All information is on the LAUC website.
- Diversity. Carla on behalf of Melissa. National Diversity in Libraries Conference in August is sold out. From UCR Kent, Julie, Judy, and Denise will be attending.
- Mentoring. Carla on behalf of Krista. Carla put forth a question regarding the role of LAUC in mentoring new librarians. A statement was made that the focus of committee changes to library needs, though it has primarily been on staff to librarian mentoring. The conversation expanded to if LAUC should provide librarianship information for all new library staff. Perhaps the committee could be turned into an onboarding, welcoming committee. Michael shared that UCSB has a committee on Welcoming, Orientation, and Mentoring where each new librarian is paired with a librarian mentor to help acclimate. Carla stated she would include this information for the charge to the Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees. . It was noted that communication and coordination with the Library-wide professional development committee (of which Patricia S.-H. and Michael Y. are members) would be necessary as that committee has a similar goal.
- Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections. Sharon reporting. The committee conducted elections. 27 ballots were returned. Some ballots were returned with personal comments written upon them, which was disconcerting. Please do not add personal comments onto ballots.
- Professional Governance. Michael reporting. Nothing locally to report. System-wide 2-3 libraries have submitted bylaws for review. The reviewed bylaws were not in conflict with system-wide bylaws. Michael will be system-wide chair of CPG on September 1st.
- Senate Representatives
- Committee on Courses. Tiffany not in attendance.
- Committee on Library and IT. Melissa not in attendance.
- As may arise.
Julie shared that the University Honors program has completed for the academic year, but will be continuing next year. If anyone wants to join, please contact her.
Meeting adjourned 3:18 p.m.