Orbach Science Library Room 240
Attendees: David Rios, chair; Steve Mandeville-Gamble; Ann Frenkel; Janet Reyes; Michael Yonezawa; Judy Lee; Carla Arbagey; Jessica Geiser; Zayda Delgado; Yoko Kudo; Swati Bhattacharyya; Manuel Urrizola; Patricia Smith-Hunt; Kat Koziar; Michele Potter
Called to order at 11:10 am by David Rios
- Carla announced the upcoming LAUC Statewide Assembly on Friday, March 23 at UCSF.
- David called attention to the 1/24 email about Commencement ceremonies and urged librarians to attend at least one.
- David also reminded attendees that ballots are out for filling the vacancy for the CAPA-L 2nd To be counted, ballots must be submitted to Janet by 5:00 pm on Monday, January 29.
University Librarian’s remarks
Creating a gender-inclusive restroom in Rivera is a project now in the Capital Programs Management System. Criteria include that the restroom is located close to staff, accessible, and well lit. Plans are to convert the women’s restroom on the first floor of Rivera Unit 1 with six stalls and a baby-changing area to be gender inclusive. Two of the stalls will be converted to enclosed urinals. Meanwhile, the adjacent men’s room will be converted to a women’s restroom. Many variables could affect when the construction phase starts, but Steve hopes it will happen by the end of summer.
LAUC-R Chair’s remarks
David read excerpts from two books: My memoirs: climbing up the downstair escalator by Ameal Moore, and Joy Inc: how we built a workplace people love by Richard Sheridan. Passages from the former book related to dreams and optimism inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr in the author’s kickoff speech to a successful bid for the Riverside City Council Ward 2 seat; passages from the latter involved ideas from tech software firm Menlo Innovations on the atmosphere of a successful workplace: being authentic, qualities of effective leadership, thinking outside the box, and that success follows joy (more so than the reverse).
- Due to the lack of a quorum, the minutes from the meetings of September 18, 2017 and November 30, 2017 could not be approved. David mentioned that the minutes will be sent out for approved via email.
- Each member present was given a couple of minutes to share about professional accomplishments, LAUC-R business, impacts of reorganization, or other information of interest to colleagues.
Meeting adjourned 12:05 pm
Minutes prepared by Janet Reyes, Secretary