Author Archives: Yoko Kudo

About Yoko Kudo

Orbach Science Library G47

2017 LAUC Assembly website

LAUC-I will be hosting the LAUC Statewide Assembly and 50th Anniversary Celebration at UCI to be held Thursday, April 20, 2017, at the UC Irvine Student Center, Pacific Ballroom C and D.

All relevant information, including a section to gather your LAUC memories in celebration of the 50th Anniversary, is available here.

Brown bag: National Diversity in Libraries Conference report-back, Thursday, March 2

The LAUC-R programs committee invites you to an informal lunchtime brown bag session on Thursday, March 2, from 12pm-1pm in Rivera 403.

We’ll hear from UCR librarians who attended and presented at the National Diversity in Libraries Conference (NDLC) at UCLA in summer 2016. We’ll be discussing highlights of NDLC presentations, including projects from colleagues at other institutions, and the current national landscape of library diversity work from a librarian perspective. Light refreshments provided.

Membership Meeting: Dec. 8, 2016

Present: Kat Koziar, Kuei Chiu, Tiffany Moxham, Noah Geraci, Rhonda Neugebauer, Dani Cook, Ken Furuta, Alison Scott, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, Cherry Williams, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Judy Lee, Michael Yonezawa, Eric Milenkiewicz, Robin Katz, Carla Arbagey, David Rios, Kent LaCombe

  1. Minutes were approved
    Brief discussion of committees, three people were added to various committees and one removed
  2. Kent reported on the diversity committee’s strong interest in helping to establish all gender restrooms in both of the main campus libraries. He is planning to meet with Steve on this topic.  Kent and Judy also briefly talked about the committee’s interest in sponsoring a diversity panel in the late winter or spring quarter.
  3. Ken reported on elections, particularly the vice-chair position in LAUC-R. Eric volunteered to run.  Nominations were closed.
  4. Michael reported on professional governance, he attended a system-wide brownbag where LAUC position papers were reviewed, two were rewritten.
  5. Tiffany reported on Research and Professional Development; and explained how professional development funds are currently utilized and the process of reimbursement. Currently the allocation is $1,500 and is used between July 1st and March 30th.  By May 20th of every year all reimbursements must have been added to the system.  Funds utilized in the post-end of May period will be covered.  For a complete description of the process please see: http://laucr.ucr.edu/funding/professional-development-funds-2/
  6. The California Library Association’s annual conference with be in Riverside the first weekend in November, 2017. CARL is the academic equivalent of CLA, though CLA does still have some academic participation.  Presentation proposals are due by mid-May.  The theme for the conference is “New Worlds.”  The group discussed other opportunities for sponsorship, shuttle buses to campus, and other ways we might want to contribute and/or participate.
  7. Kat reported on the Social Justice webinar that was held on December 1st at 11am. The groups discussed possible follow-ups.  Perhaps brownbags on advocacy or how we might interact with and support others on campus in ways related to social justice.
  8. Patricia talked about the ACRL Diversity Alliance and the possibility of creating positions for diversity fellows – bringing in one or two fellowships a year, and building a pipeline to existent library schools, in a manner similar to the IE Leads program.

Meeting adjourned.

Revised PD Funds Guidelines and Timeline

New professional development funds timeline is available here

CLARIFICATIONS
iTravel is the UCR application used for travel planning and expense reporting system
iTravel information/ amounts must be completed in iTravel AND submitted AND  receipts provided to the library’s travel coordinator or Director of Planning and Budget designee in order to be considered a complete travel re-imbursement provision.
Individuals may start a “new” trip and enter the details without actually submitting for re-imbursement until a later time/when the trip is complete.

Travel Request App:  this is the in-house library app for gaining approval to travel/partake in other professional development activities.

The Call 2016-2017: Interim Resolutions

The following documents replace various Appendices and documents referred to in The CALL (Oct 24, 2016) as interim resolutions for the 2016-17 review period.

APPENDIX II: Checklist A
APPENDIX III: Checklist B
APPENDIX VIII: Ad Hoc Committee Report
APPENDIX IX: CAPA-L Committee Report
APPENDIX X: Academic Review Action Summary
APPENDIX XI: Career Summary Sheet
APPENDIX XII: Statement of Professional Achievement
APPENDIX XIII: Review Initiator’s Evaluation Cover Sheet

Statement of Primary Responsibilites
Academic Biography Form
Candidate’s Performance Review Cover Sheet
Candidate’s Letter of Evaluation Request Form

Range of Options
Review Initiator’s Letter of Evaluation Request Form
Review Initiator’s Request for Secondary Evaluator Form
Secondary Evaluator’s Evaluation Form

Membership Meeting: Oct. 27, 2016

1:00-2:00 pm
Location: Orbach 240

Present: Kat Koziar, Carla Arbagey (recorder), Judy Lee, Jessica Geiser, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, David Rios, Ann Frenkel, Tiffany Moxham, Michael Yonezawa, Kuei Chiu, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Rhonda Neugebauer, Dani Cook, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya

  1. Gavel exchange: from Past Chair Carla Arbagey to current Chair Kat Koziar
  2. Business
    1. Notification of Chairs
      • Committees, Rules, Jurisdictions, and Elections: the past chair is willing to help a new chair if one should step forward
      • Professional Governance: The charge for the system-wide CPG was shared with the local committee, which includes writing a few short essays on major bylaws changes, which will be used for the LAUC 50TH Anniversary
      • Programs: The committee recently co-sponsored a program with the Diversity Committee, a webinar on diversity in libraries. Coming up, LAUC-R has also sponsored a campus program featuring author/actress Diane Guerrero
      • Still in need of a parliamentarian, alternate parliamentarian, and vice chair
    2. Budget: Kat announced that the LAUC-R budget was approved by Steven Mandeville-Gamble; there is additional money for programs this year, so send your ideas to the relevant committee or LAUC-R Executive Board
    3. System-wide: Carla reported on the meeting she and LAUC President Dana Peterman had with CoUL (Council of University Librarians); topics included LAUC plans for the year, the 50th anniversary activities, and communications between CoUL and LAUC members
    4. Other:
      • Steve mentioned ACRL’s new Diversity Alliance, which is focused on having more diversity in LIS programs and schools; he is working on a way for UCR Library to join under our current policies
      • Tiffany reported on her meeting as the LAUC-R Committee on Courses guest; she has contacted subject specialists to let them know if there are changes in the works for classes in their areas; the committee is also looking at issues regarding online education
      • Ann Frenkel reported that the Direction and Oversight Committee is planning more informational webinars and urged librarians to attend
      • Kat reported that we had 36 LAUC-R members for the September census, which affords us an additional delegate at the LAUC Assembly; Michael mentioned that the second delegate is usually the vice chair
  1. Discussion: What do you like about LAUC-R Meetings? What would you like to see?
    1. Kuei: it is a good platform to talk about issues, and it’s an inclusive environment
    2. Steve: we can discuss important issues facing librarians, such as OA2020
    3. Michael mentioned that LAUC and its divisions can propose resolutions to be passed at the LAUC Assembly, such as a statement on Open Access/OA2020
    4. Patricia: much of the energy of LAUC-R comes from the chair, so it’s a good time to talk more about issues, have more focus and structure
    5. There was additional discussion about OA2020, including looking at our internal OA practices, and possibly continuing the conversation in a future meeting or brown bag session

Membership Meeting: July 12, 2016

2:00-3:18 pm
Location: Orbach 240

 Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Kuei Chiu, Ann Frenkel, Kent LaCombe, Angela Lee, Judy Lee, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer, Sharon Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Alexandra Dolan-Mescal (Guest).

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:06pm.

  1. Announcements
    1. Carla stated congratulations to newly-elected LAUC-R officers: Kat Koziar chair-elect, Secretary Kent LaCombe, Delegate David Rios, Alt Delegate Judy Lee; CAPA-L members Michael, David, Judy, and Krista.
    2. Patricia indicated that CAPA-L will be sending a survey to everyone who was involved with the Academic Review process during the last year. She encouraged those who receive the survey to be responsive and timely in their feedback.
    3. Ann stated there are many upcoming changes in library personnel: Dani Cook will be joining us on Monday July 18 as Director of Teaching and Learning.  Her office will be in Rivera in Krista’s office.  Krista will be moving to Anthony’s old office.  We have received a signed acceptance letter from Swati Bhattacharyya, who will join us as the business librarian the second week of October.  CAPA-L has approved the Geospatial Information Librarian candidate as part of the acceptance process.  The Director of Research position will be reopened once the campus recruitments for the previous fiscal year are closed.  Denise Kane’s last day will be this Friday, July 15, 2016.
    4. Kuei asked for an update on the system-wide election. Carla won the position for Vice President.  At the time there was no number regarding the voter turnout.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    1. No Quorum. Michael suggested approving the minutes by acclamation through email.  Approved minutes must reflect this type of approval.
  3. System-wide Update (Carla Reporting)
    1. LAUC Transition Meeting is at UCI. Carla and Julie attending.
    2. Research & Professional Development Webinar. Dana Peterman is supposed to be putting a webinar together.  Keep an eye out.
    3. Jerrold Shiroma (UCM) will take over from Julie Lefevre (UCB) as webmaster in August.
    4. Task Forces formed by Diane Mizrachi will continue into next year: Web Content, Archives, and eVenue
      Web Content is divided into three areas: Web Manager, Social Media Coordinator, News Content Coordinator
    5. Join LAUC on Linked In! https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7057206
    6. UCOLASC (University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication) Meeting Notes
      • Praise for the Data Curation Common Knowledge Group (CKG) new video, Research Data Matters” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr722k7NyGU, a project co-led by our own Kat Koziar! Kat added that the project is still in assessment, and feedback is welcome (http://guides.lib.ucr.edu/uclibrariesdataservices/feedback)
      • Open Access initiatives
        • Pay it Forward report and model will be available soon
        • eScholarship
          • eScholarship is undergoing a rebranding; however, Rhonda heard it might be on hold.
          • Carla referenced the email Alison had forwarded containing a link to a blog post (http://gavialib.com/2016/07/hearty-congratulations-california-or-on-magical-thinking/) countering the Chronicle of Higher Ed article (http://chronicle.com/article/The-U-of-California-s/237044). There was comment on the irony that the Chronicle’s article is behind a paywall.  While 25% participation is still far away from the goal of 100%, it is incremental and positive progress compared to the vast majority of other institutions in the U.S.  Nebraska has ~40% deposit rate; however, Kent shared that they had staff dedicated to help faculty upload.  Tiffany stated the UK has ~95% upload rate, but additional institutional funding is tied to participation.  Kat mentioned if our institutional funding was tied to upload rate, the campus administration would figure out a way to harvest and upload from the faculty efile system.
          • Michael asked if there is a report regarding usage of the deposits, indicating we could use this type of data to incentivize participation.
          • A comment was made that perhaps articles aren’t being found as Open Access because search results are pointing to the published journal article, and not an OA repository. A question was posed if UC-eLinks could include a link to eScholarship if the article is available there.
          • Rhonda requested people can contact her about depositing articles/scholarly work in eScholarship
      • ACRL released a policy statement supporting and encouraging OA when academic librarians publish (http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2016/07/acrl-issues-policy-statement-open-access-scholarship-academic-librarians)
    7. Retirement of note throughout the UC Libraries System: Dan Tsang at UCI, Ruby Gutierrez at UCLA HAPI; Nicholas Meriwether at SC/Grateful Dead Archivist leaving, Libbie Stephenson at the Social Science Data Archive (UCLA), Davis AUL for Collections Gail Yokote retiring
    8. Check the LAUC website, http://lauc.ucop.edu for the latest LAUC minutes – they have a lot of good info to read through, such as the full reports from our reps to UCOLASC, SCLG, SLASIAC, DOC, Shared Library Facilities, Campus reports
  4. Call for volunteers: Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees
    1. Carla is charging creation of a task force to review the LAUC-R committees. Requests the task force to be 3-4 members, whose work should entail only about two meetings.  Would like to know which committees should be retired, combined, or adjusted.  Work should be completed by end of August, with a resulting brief 1-page report.
    2. Sharon provided background information that LAUC-R has more committees than any other campus.
    3. Sharon volunteered to serve on the Task Force, though not lead it.
    4. Formal charge is forthcoming.
  5. Committee Reports:
    1. Personnel: Julie reporting. Last job descriptions reviewed was Technical Services, Digital Assets Metadata Librarian.
    2. Programs: Rhonda reporting. We had a nice year.
    3. Research & Professional Development. Julie reporting.
      • Still no report from Lee; there have been no quarterly reports for FY1516. Librarians are encouraged to send in any overages for reimbursement.
      • Do not know if the $1500 has been extended for FY1617. Carla stated the Union is requesting $2000/librarian in the contract negotiations.
      • LAUC Grants will be available in fall. All information is on the LAUC website.
    4. Diversity. Carla on behalf of Melissa.  National Diversity in Libraries Conference in August is sold out.  From UCR Kent, Julie, Judy, and Denise will be attending.
    5. Mentoring. Carla on behalf of Krista. Carla put forth a question regarding the role of LAUC in mentoring new librarians.  A statement was made that the focus of committee changes to library needs, though it has primarily been on staff to librarian mentoring.  The conversation expanded to if LAUC should provide librarianship information for all new library staff.  Perhaps the committee could be turned into an onboarding, welcoming committee.  Michael shared that UCSB has a committee on Welcoming, Orientation, and Mentoring where each new librarian is paired with a librarian mentor to help acclimate.  Carla stated she would include this information for the charge to the Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees.  .  It was noted that communication and coordination with the Library-wide professional development committee (of which Patricia S.-H. and Michael Y. are members) would be necessary as that committee has a similar goal.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections. Sharon reporting.  The committee conducted elections.  27 ballots were returned.  Some ballots were returned with personal comments written upon them, which was disconcerting.  Please do not add personal comments onto ballots.
    7. Professional Governance. Michael reporting.  Nothing locally to report.  System-wide 2-3 libraries have submitted bylaws for review.  The reviewed bylaws were not in conflict with system-wide bylaws.  Michael will be system-wide chair of CPG on September 1st.
  1. Senate Representatives
    1. Committee on Courses. Tiffany not in attendance.
    2. Committee on Library and IT. Melissa not in attendance.
  2. As may arise.
    Julie shared that the University Honors program has completed for the academic year, but will be continuing next year. If anyone wants to join, please contact her.

Meeting adjourned 3:18 p.m.

Membership Meeting: May 10, 2016

2:00-3:01 pm
Location: Rivera 403

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Diane Bisom, Kuei Chiu, Ann Frenkel, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Angela Lee, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, David Rios, Alison Scott, Ying Shen.

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:05pm.

  1. Announcements
    1. Postcards were sent to staff in honor of National Library Workers’ Day (on April 12). Thanks to Carla for heading the effort.  The postcards were positively received.
    2. Next meeting is June 14th in Orbach, 2-3:30pm, Lightning Round presentations. Looking for volunteers to present.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    1. No Quorum
  3. System-wide Update
    1. Research grants. Please apply for extra funds.  There will be a webinar to help applicants prepare for the September call.
    2. WEST Webinar. Presented by Cathy Martyniak.  No date yet.
    3. Shared Content Leadership Group: Charter now available. Includes the different relationships between groups.
    4. Website Content Committee
      • Updated rosters.
      • People who send in information are eligible to win one of two $50 Amazon gift cards.
    5. LAUC Journal Task Force
      • Read the Task Force report online
      • E-Venue Task Force disbanded the LAUC Journal Task Force. Results of the survey can be summed up as “there might not be as much interest as they thought.”
    6. Campus tidbits
      • UC Davis. Adopted Primo Discovery service, as part of Ex Libris Alma.  Seven new librarians.
      • UC Berkeley. Using Katherine Kott as consultant.
      • UC San Diego. Moving their intranet to Confluence.
  1. LAUC Assembly Report
    1. Position Papers Nos. 1 (one) and 3 (three) are retired. Number 2 (two) will be updated/revised.  Number 4 (four) will be replaced.  Adam Siegel (UC Davis) is leading the group to rewrite.
    2. Discussion with Dan Russell of Google. Dan Russell led a discussion on what the right questions were, and the power of asking questions.  Had a brainstorming session on the question: if librarians were in charge of Google, what would we do different.
    3. Committee reports available at the Assembly website
  2. APM 360 Revisions
    Current revisions are primarily grammatical and style changes.
  3. LAUC/LAUC-R Elections
    1. Carla is running for Vice President of LAUC
    2. Sharon is in charge of elections committee, and accepting volunteers/nominations for officer positions within LAUC-R.
  4. Committee Reports:
    1. Personnel: Julie reporting. Reviewed two new job descriptions.  In Special Collections, a Collections Management Librarian to provide technical services, supervision, and project management of the accessioning and processing of materials.
    2. Programs: Carla on behalf of Rhonda. We had the screening of “Chinese Couplets.”  Upcoming events. May 20th Diversity & Children’s Literature (In the HUB).  June 8th webinar on “Managing Up.”
    3. Research & Professional Development. Krista and Christina received presentation grants.
    4. Carla on behalf of Melissa.  We had the screening of “Chinese Couplets.”
    5. Carla on behalf of Krista. No additional volunteers for the committee.  Will wait until fall to start up program.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections. See #9 below.
    7. Professional Governance. Michael not in attendance.
  5. Senate Representatives
    1. Committee on Courses. Tiffany not in attendance.
    2. Committee on Library and IT. Steve reported the committee met that day.  Committee is developing a business case proposal for a poster printing service in the library, which will be going up for budget shortly.
  6. Discussion: Bylaws and Affiliate Membership.
    1. The committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections will change CACLS to CAPA-L in the Bylaws. Comment was made on the need for the Bylaws to reflect the Call.
    2. Made standing rule to allow invited guests.

Meeting adjourned 3:01 p.m.

Membership Meeting: Mar. 8, 2016

2:00-3:27 pm
Location: Orbach 240

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Diane Bisom, Christina Cicchetti, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Julie Mason, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer,
Alison Scott, Sharon Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa.

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:02pm.

  1. Announcements
    April 12 is National Library Workers’ Day. Planning something for LAUC to do.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    No Quorum
  3. Systemwide Update
    1. Planning a LAUC 50th anniversary celebration
      Carla Reporting: Planning local celebration with historical photos and documents from LAUC
    2. UCOLASC (University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication) report
      Carla Reporting: update from Diane Mizrachi concern from all libraries regarding space, facilities, and budget. Steve stated there is an aspirational goal of library seating for 20% of students; we are currently at ~9% seating.  The RLFs are filling up earlier than originally projected; while it is harder now to fund new RLFs, UCLA & Berkeley are asked to generate and policy to document optimal funding levels.
    3. Possible meeting with new head of CDL
      LAUC President is meeting with CDL head, who is starting in May.
      1. Assembly at UC Merced, March 21st. Will have five poster sessions from new librarians.
      2. Registration is currently closed.
      3. Live webcast is available:  http://ucm.edu/e87dadAssembly Update
  4. APM 360 Revisions: how would we like to handle giving feedback?
    UCOP sent out entire APM 360 for revisions. Michael stated when items aren’t clearly stated or not in the MOU, the APMs precedence.  Tiffany suggested that if a committee or subgroup pertains to the APMs, they should be the ones to work on it.  Suggestions also to send out a general email to LAUC-R for anyone interested in reviewing the documents.  LAUC will accept all comments.  Diane M. is collecting comments at the meeting.  A union response will also be forthcoming.
  5. Report from the 2/9 brainstorming session
    1. Thanks to all to participated. From Carla’s notes: suggestions included respect and how we treat each other; the library as place; communication and interaction; training opportunities; technology programs.
    2. Michael suggested mapping the suggestions to activities, such as current or existing activities.
  6. Committee reports
    1. Personnel Committee: Julie Mason reporting.  No new positions were reviewed.
    2. Programs Committee: Rhonda Neugebauer reporting. Have ideas to implement.
    3. Research & Professional Development Committee: Julie M. reporting. Two submitted presentation grant proposals.  ($1500 research grant due end of March).  $1500 for everyone during the current fiscal year, with no carry-over.  Steve stated there is a NCSU Data Visualization Institute for which three librarians and one staff applied, which the library is committed to supporting fully.
    4. Diversity Committee: Melissa not attending.
    5. Mentoring Committee: Mentoring program approved by Library administration. Thanks to all who volunteered to be mentors.  Committee needs more members.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections: Sharon Scott reporting elections are coming up.
    7. Professional Governance: Update on PAMs 2.1 & 2.2
      Recommendations: Retire 2.1, Update 2.2. Steve recommended reviewing complete PAM system.
  7. Senate Rep reports
    1. Committee on Courses: Tiffany reporting.  Committee will send back online course requests due to inadequate requirements (e.g. reading Wikipedia).  Need to ensure classes have a clear way to evaluate students.  Steve stated that UCOP wants pathways to get students through programs in three instead of four years.  On average, UCR degrees require six credits more than other UCs.
    2. Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication: Melissa Cardenas-Dow is the new representative.  Steve reported the 3/14 meeting was cancelled.
  8. Bylaws reminder: Carla stated it’s always a good idea to review the bylaws for currency, such as updating CACLS to CAPA-L

Meeting adjourned 3:27 p.m.