Category Archives: Minutes

Membership Meeting: Apr. 10, 2017

11:00am
Location: Orbach 240

Respectfully submitted by Kent LaCombe

Present: Kat Koziar, Kuei Chiu, Tiffany Moxham, Noah Geraci, Dani Cook, Alison Scott, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Eric Milenkiewicz, Carla Arbagey, Cherry Williams, David Rios, Ying Shen, Zayda Delgado, Janet Reyes, Sara Stilley, Judy Lee, Ann Frenkel, Jessica Geiser, Kent LaCombe

  1. Minutes from the 01/26/17 LAUC-R membership meeting were approved as amended
  2. The LAUC systemwide assembly meeting is in April. They are still seeking stories about LAUC and its history.  This is the last day to register to attend the gathering in Irvine.
  3. Committee reports
    Research and Professional Development
    Tiffany reported that everyone should have turned in what they are doing with their professional development funds.  Requests for supplemental funds should be submitted by the 15th of April.  Tiffany received the funding status report and sent out individual balance information as March 30th.  She’s updating the professional development spreadsheet with the relevant data.  Kat, Swati, Dani, Yoko, Cherry and Tiffany will be further updating information by meeting with individuals.  Additional requests can be added through May 20th.  Some members have exceeded their limits while others have not utilized all of their funds.  Finance is tracking expenditures.  Steve suggested that a proposal be created for how best to track allocations and ensure they are utilized fairly.  The only guaranteed money is what is specifically spelled out in the contracts.  Kuei suggested using Google Docs.  Carla will check with other campuses and see whether librarians or budget and finance are tracking individual expenditures.  Steve relayed that some campuses approve different amounts based on the potential professional impact of what they are requesting funds for.
  4. Other business
    Steve is meeting with President Napolitano for their second annual meeting.
    The NRLF’s proposed 50 million dollar expansion was scaled back to 33 million.  The SRLF cannot be expanded due to its location on a fault.  Access to tier 1 shared resources is becoming financially unsustainable for 6 of 10 UC campuses.
    The California Library Association issued a call for proposals this week.  Kat is looking for suggestions.  Cherry and David mentioned to possibility of something related to preservation and/or digital preservation.  What are the advantages of digital in terms of utilizing data? Carla and Noah brought up how we have envisioned doing and exhibits.

Meeting adjourned.

 

Membership Meeting: Jan. 26, 2017

2:00 pm
Location: Orbach 240

Present: Kat Koziar, Kuei Chiu, Tiffany Moxham, Noah Geraci, Rhonda Neugebauer, Dani Cook, Ken Furuta, Alison Scott, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Michael Yonezawa, Eric Milenkiewicz, Robin Katz, Carla Arbagey, David Rios, Kent LaCombe, Ying Shen, Christina Cicchetti, Zayda Delgado, JJ Jacobson, Janet Reyes, Angela Lee, Ann Frenkel

  1. Minutes from the 12/08/16 LAUC-R membership meeting were approved as amended.
  2. Discussed the LAUC exec assembly at UC Irvine. Normally the vice-chair attended, but Judy is attending as an alternate delegate.  Two more delegates are needed.  Kat is willing to carpool.  For the 50th anniversary of LAUC 5 or so highlights are needed.  Are there any scrapbooks or relevant photos that could be utilized?
    Carla mentioned there was a call for posters for the assembly.  Virtual posters are also an option.
  3. Committee reports
    1. Diversity
      Kent reported on the diversity committee’s interest in seeing the libraries incorporate all gender restrooms.  Steve expressed interest but pointed out the serious budgetary constraints the library currently has.  Kent brought up the single stall restroom in Rivera as a possible starting point that would not require renovation.  The committee is also working on putting a speaking panel together – currently have acquired tentative agreements to speak from Associated Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion Miriam Lam and former UCR LAUC-R diversity chair Melissa Cardenas-Dow
    2. Elections – vice-chair elections were held.  Eric was elected vice-chair of LAUC-R.
    3. Programs committee
      • Co-sponsored in November with student groups and academic programs, the visit of author and actress Diana Guerrero – address issues of being forcefully separated from family members who were undocumented (co-sponsored by the UCR Undocumented Student Programs Office)
      • Co-sponsored an ALA webinar with the Diversity Committee on Diversity in Libraries (Oct 2016) and a brown bag with UCR attendees of the National Diversity in Libraries Conference at UCLA in August 2016;
      • Rhonda reported on a number of programs under development by the Committee, including a panel on diversity with AEVC Mariam Lam, a program on Cassini mission, a program for foodies on eating more veggies and fruit (coming in the Spring quarter).
      • The Programs Committee will co-sponsor a panel on diversity with the Diversity Committee – on Monday May 15
      • Possible speaker from the Jet propulsion laboratory will speak about the Cassini-Huygens Mission to Saturn – on May 9
      • Noah is reviewing climate change data and may proposed a future panel (on hold)
      • February proposed program idea on Black Lives Matter was canceled due to the number of other campus activities around the same time period
    4. Tiffany is going to email information related to the timeline and due dates for submitting professional development funding
      In the 1970s and 80s LAUC-R directed some funds toward individual grants: $1,500 for represented and $500 for non-represented.  Is there any interest in reinstating that system?  Tiffany stated that she preferred the current system.  Eric agreed.  A motion was passed to continue distributing LAUC-R funds evenly between membership and also to revise the website’s information.  Additionally the bylaws will be reviewed to see if they need changed.
    5. Committee on courses
      Tiffany reported that there is a general sense that we are behind on online learning.  She said it would be helpful if a link to the library was added to the iLearn interface.
    6. Carla reported there are systemwide Research and Professional Development grants available. The deadline to apply is March 3rd.  Kat will follow up with an email announcement.
    7. Committee chairs are coming to the next exec meeting. One item of interest is brainstorming possible brownbag topics / times.
    8. Steve reported that he is meeting with the Chancellor and other deans for a structured conversation regarding campus issues.
    9. Other: we need to assure that important announcements go out

      Noah reported on his review of climate change data.  Websites are archived in the CDL internet archive.  Steve will be talking to Günter and John from the California Digital Library.  We currently have an end of term web archive for a number of federal sites at the end of President Obama’s Administration.  The longer our crawlers run on a site, the more complete the backup.

      Steve will be meeting with Mike Pazzani and others to discuss where data might be stored.  One option is a two petabytes server farm.

      Meeting adjourned

Membership Meeting: Dec. 8, 2016

Present: Kat Koziar, Kuei Chiu, Tiffany Moxham, Noah Geraci, Rhonda Neugebauer, Dani Cook, Ken Furuta, Alison Scott, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, Cherry Williams, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Judy Lee, Michael Yonezawa, Eric Milenkiewicz, Robin Katz, Carla Arbagey, David Rios, Kent LaCombe

  1. Minutes were approved
    Brief discussion of committees, three people were added to various committees and one removed
  2. Kent reported on the diversity committee’s strong interest in helping to establish all gender restrooms in both of the main campus libraries. He is planning to meet with Steve on this topic.  Kent and Judy also briefly talked about the committee’s interest in sponsoring a diversity panel in the late winter or spring quarter.
  3. Ken reported on elections, particularly the vice-chair position in LAUC-R. Eric volunteered to run.  Nominations were closed.
  4. Michael reported on professional governance, he attended a system-wide brownbag where LAUC position papers were reviewed, two were rewritten.
  5. Tiffany reported on Research and Professional Development; and explained how professional development funds are currently utilized and the process of reimbursement. Currently the allocation is $1,500 and is used between July 1st and March 30th.  By May 20th of every year all reimbursements must have been added to the system.  Funds utilized in the post-end of May period will be covered.  For a complete description of the process please see: http://laucr.ucr.edu/funding/professional-development-funds-2/
  6. The California Library Association’s annual conference with be in Riverside the first weekend in November, 2017. CARL is the academic equivalent of CLA, though CLA does still have some academic participation.  Presentation proposals are due by mid-May.  The theme for the conference is “New Worlds.”  The group discussed other opportunities for sponsorship, shuttle buses to campus, and other ways we might want to contribute and/or participate.
  7. Kat reported on the Social Justice webinar that was held on December 1st at 11am. The groups discussed possible follow-ups.  Perhaps brownbags on advocacy or how we might interact with and support others on campus in ways related to social justice.
  8. Patricia talked about the ACRL Diversity Alliance and the possibility of creating positions for diversity fellows – bringing in one or two fellowships a year, and building a pipeline to existent library schools, in a manner similar to the IE Leads program.

Meeting adjourned.

Membership Meeting: Oct. 27, 2016

1:00-2:00 pm
Location: Orbach 240

Present: Kat Koziar, Carla Arbagey (recorder), Judy Lee, Jessica Geiser, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, David Rios, Ann Frenkel, Tiffany Moxham, Michael Yonezawa, Kuei Chiu, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Rhonda Neugebauer, Dani Cook, Yoko Kudo, Swati Bhattacharyya

  1. Gavel exchange: from Past Chair Carla Arbagey to current Chair Kat Koziar
  2. Business
    1. Notification of Chairs
      • Committees, Rules, Jurisdictions, and Elections: the past chair is willing to help a new chair if one should step forward
      • Professional Governance: The charge for the system-wide CPG was shared with the local committee, which includes writing a few short essays on major bylaws changes, which will be used for the LAUC 50TH Anniversary
      • Programs: The committee recently co-sponsored a program with the Diversity Committee, a webinar on diversity in libraries. Coming up, LAUC-R has also sponsored a campus program featuring author/actress Diane Guerrero
      • Still in need of a parliamentarian, alternate parliamentarian, and vice chair
    2. Budget: Kat announced that the LAUC-R budget was approved by Steven Mandeville-Gamble; there is additional money for programs this year, so send your ideas to the relevant committee or LAUC-R Executive Board
    3. System-wide: Carla reported on the meeting she and LAUC President Dana Peterman had with CoUL (Council of University Librarians); topics included LAUC plans for the year, the 50th anniversary activities, and communications between CoUL and LAUC members
    4. Other:
      • Steve mentioned ACRL’s new Diversity Alliance, which is focused on having more diversity in LIS programs and schools; he is working on a way for UCR Library to join under our current policies
      • Tiffany reported on her meeting as the LAUC-R Committee on Courses guest; she has contacted subject specialists to let them know if there are changes in the works for classes in their areas; the committee is also looking at issues regarding online education
      • Ann Frenkel reported that the Direction and Oversight Committee is planning more informational webinars and urged librarians to attend
      • Kat reported that we had 36 LAUC-R members for the September census, which affords us an additional delegate at the LAUC Assembly; Michael mentioned that the second delegate is usually the vice chair
  1. Discussion: What do you like about LAUC-R Meetings? What would you like to see?
    1. Kuei: it is a good platform to talk about issues, and it’s an inclusive environment
    2. Steve: we can discuss important issues facing librarians, such as OA2020
    3. Michael mentioned that LAUC and its divisions can propose resolutions to be passed at the LAUC Assembly, such as a statement on Open Access/OA2020
    4. Patricia: much of the energy of LAUC-R comes from the chair, so it’s a good time to talk more about issues, have more focus and structure
    5. There was additional discussion about OA2020, including looking at our internal OA practices, and possibly continuing the conversation in a future meeting or brown bag session

Membership Meeting: July 12, 2016

2:00-3:18 pm
Location: Orbach 240

 Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Kuei Chiu, Ann Frenkel, Kent LaCombe, Angela Lee, Judy Lee, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer, Sharon Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Alexandra Dolan-Mescal (Guest).

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:06pm.

  1. Announcements
    1. Carla stated congratulations to newly-elected LAUC-R officers: Kat Koziar chair-elect, Secretary Kent LaCombe, Delegate David Rios, Alt Delegate Judy Lee; CAPA-L members Michael, David, Judy, and Krista.
    2. Patricia indicated that CAPA-L will be sending a survey to everyone who was involved with the Academic Review process during the last year. She encouraged those who receive the survey to be responsive and timely in their feedback.
    3. Ann stated there are many upcoming changes in library personnel: Dani Cook will be joining us on Monday July 18 as Director of Teaching and Learning.  Her office will be in Rivera in Krista’s office.  Krista will be moving to Anthony’s old office.  We have received a signed acceptance letter from Swati Bhattacharyya, who will join us as the business librarian the second week of October.  CAPA-L has approved the Geospatial Information Librarian candidate as part of the acceptance process.  The Director of Research position will be reopened once the campus recruitments for the previous fiscal year are closed.  Denise Kane’s last day will be this Friday, July 15, 2016.
    4. Kuei asked for an update on the system-wide election. Carla won the position for Vice President.  At the time there was no number regarding the voter turnout.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    1. No Quorum. Michael suggested approving the minutes by acclamation through email.  Approved minutes must reflect this type of approval.
  3. System-wide Update (Carla Reporting)
    1. LAUC Transition Meeting is at UCI. Carla and Julie attending.
    2. Research & Professional Development Webinar. Dana Peterman is supposed to be putting a webinar together.  Keep an eye out.
    3. Jerrold Shiroma (UCM) will take over from Julie Lefevre (UCB) as webmaster in August.
    4. Task Forces formed by Diane Mizrachi will continue into next year: Web Content, Archives, and eVenue
      Web Content is divided into three areas: Web Manager, Social Media Coordinator, News Content Coordinator
    5. Join LAUC on Linked In! https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7057206
    6. UCOLASC (University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication) Meeting Notes
      • Praise for the Data Curation Common Knowledge Group (CKG) new video, Research Data Matters” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr722k7NyGU, a project co-led by our own Kat Koziar! Kat added that the project is still in assessment, and feedback is welcome (http://guides.lib.ucr.edu/uclibrariesdataservices/feedback)
      • Open Access initiatives
        • Pay it Forward report and model will be available soon
        • eScholarship
          • eScholarship is undergoing a rebranding; however, Rhonda heard it might be on hold.
          • Carla referenced the email Alison had forwarded containing a link to a blog post (http://gavialib.com/2016/07/hearty-congratulations-california-or-on-magical-thinking/) countering the Chronicle of Higher Ed article (http://chronicle.com/article/The-U-of-California-s/237044). There was comment on the irony that the Chronicle’s article is behind a paywall.  While 25% participation is still far away from the goal of 100%, it is incremental and positive progress compared to the vast majority of other institutions in the U.S.  Nebraska has ~40% deposit rate; however, Kent shared that they had staff dedicated to help faculty upload.  Tiffany stated the UK has ~95% upload rate, but additional institutional funding is tied to participation.  Kat mentioned if our institutional funding was tied to upload rate, the campus administration would figure out a way to harvest and upload from the faculty efile system.
          • Michael asked if there is a report regarding usage of the deposits, indicating we could use this type of data to incentivize participation.
          • A comment was made that perhaps articles aren’t being found as Open Access because search results are pointing to the published journal article, and not an OA repository. A question was posed if UC-eLinks could include a link to eScholarship if the article is available there.
          • Rhonda requested people can contact her about depositing articles/scholarly work in eScholarship
      • ACRL released a policy statement supporting and encouraging OA when academic librarians publish (http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2016/07/acrl-issues-policy-statement-open-access-scholarship-academic-librarians)
    7. Retirement of note throughout the UC Libraries System: Dan Tsang at UCI, Ruby Gutierrez at UCLA HAPI; Nicholas Meriwether at SC/Grateful Dead Archivist leaving, Libbie Stephenson at the Social Science Data Archive (UCLA), Davis AUL for Collections Gail Yokote retiring
    8. Check the LAUC website, http://lauc.ucop.edu for the latest LAUC minutes – they have a lot of good info to read through, such as the full reports from our reps to UCOLASC, SCLG, SLASIAC, DOC, Shared Library Facilities, Campus reports
  4. Call for volunteers: Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees
    1. Carla is charging creation of a task force to review the LAUC-R committees. Requests the task force to be 3-4 members, whose work should entail only about two meetings.  Would like to know which committees should be retired, combined, or adjusted.  Work should be completed by end of August, with a resulting brief 1-page report.
    2. Sharon provided background information that LAUC-R has more committees than any other campus.
    3. Sharon volunteered to serve on the Task Force, though not lead it.
    4. Formal charge is forthcoming.
  5. Committee Reports:
    1. Personnel: Julie reporting. Last job descriptions reviewed was Technical Services, Digital Assets Metadata Librarian.
    2. Programs: Rhonda reporting. We had a nice year.
    3. Research & Professional Development. Julie reporting.
      • Still no report from Lee; there have been no quarterly reports for FY1516. Librarians are encouraged to send in any overages for reimbursement.
      • Do not know if the $1500 has been extended for FY1617. Carla stated the Union is requesting $2000/librarian in the contract negotiations.
      • LAUC Grants will be available in fall. All information is on the LAUC website.
    4. Diversity. Carla on behalf of Melissa.  National Diversity in Libraries Conference in August is sold out.  From UCR Kent, Julie, Judy, and Denise will be attending.
    5. Mentoring. Carla on behalf of Krista. Carla put forth a question regarding the role of LAUC in mentoring new librarians.  A statement was made that the focus of committee changes to library needs, though it has primarily been on staff to librarian mentoring.  The conversation expanded to if LAUC should provide librarianship information for all new library staff.  Perhaps the committee could be turned into an onboarding, welcoming committee.  Michael shared that UCSB has a committee on Welcoming, Orientation, and Mentoring where each new librarian is paired with a librarian mentor to help acclimate.  Carla stated she would include this information for the charge to the Task Force to Review LAUC-R Committees.  .  It was noted that communication and coordination with the Library-wide professional development committee (of which Patricia S.-H. and Michael Y. are members) would be necessary as that committee has a similar goal.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections. Sharon reporting.  The committee conducted elections.  27 ballots were returned.  Some ballots were returned with personal comments written upon them, which was disconcerting.  Please do not add personal comments onto ballots.
    7. Professional Governance. Michael reporting.  Nothing locally to report.  System-wide 2-3 libraries have submitted bylaws for review.  The reviewed bylaws were not in conflict with system-wide bylaws.  Michael will be system-wide chair of CPG on September 1st.
  1. Senate Representatives
    1. Committee on Courses. Tiffany not in attendance.
    2. Committee on Library and IT. Melissa not in attendance.
  2. As may arise.
    Julie shared that the University Honors program has completed for the academic year, but will be continuing next year. If anyone wants to join, please contact her.

Meeting adjourned 3:18 p.m.

Membership Meeting: May 10, 2016

2:00-3:01 pm
Location: Rivera 403

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Diane Bisom, Kuei Chiu, Ann Frenkel, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Angela Lee, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, David Rios, Alison Scott, Ying Shen.

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:05pm.

  1. Announcements
    1. Postcards were sent to staff in honor of National Library Workers’ Day (on April 12). Thanks to Carla for heading the effort.  The postcards were positively received.
    2. Next meeting is June 14th in Orbach, 2-3:30pm, Lightning Round presentations. Looking for volunteers to present.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    1. No Quorum
  3. System-wide Update
    1. Research grants. Please apply for extra funds.  There will be a webinar to help applicants prepare for the September call.
    2. WEST Webinar. Presented by Cathy Martyniak.  No date yet.
    3. Shared Content Leadership Group: Charter now available. Includes the different relationships between groups.
    4. Website Content Committee
      • Updated rosters.
      • People who send in information are eligible to win one of two $50 Amazon gift cards.
    5. LAUC Journal Task Force
      • Read the Task Force report online
      • E-Venue Task Force disbanded the LAUC Journal Task Force. Results of the survey can be summed up as “there might not be as much interest as they thought.”
    6. Campus tidbits
      • UC Davis. Adopted Primo Discovery service, as part of Ex Libris Alma.  Seven new librarians.
      • UC Berkeley. Using Katherine Kott as consultant.
      • UC San Diego. Moving their intranet to Confluence.
  1. LAUC Assembly Report
    1. Position Papers Nos. 1 (one) and 3 (three) are retired. Number 2 (two) will be updated/revised.  Number 4 (four) will be replaced.  Adam Siegel (UC Davis) is leading the group to rewrite.
    2. Discussion with Dan Russell of Google. Dan Russell led a discussion on what the right questions were, and the power of asking questions.  Had a brainstorming session on the question: if librarians were in charge of Google, what would we do different.
    3. Committee reports available at the Assembly website
  2. APM 360 Revisions
    Current revisions are primarily grammatical and style changes.
  3. LAUC/LAUC-R Elections
    1. Carla is running for Vice President of LAUC
    2. Sharon is in charge of elections committee, and accepting volunteers/nominations for officer positions within LAUC-R.
  4. Committee Reports:
    1. Personnel: Julie reporting. Reviewed two new job descriptions.  In Special Collections, a Collections Management Librarian to provide technical services, supervision, and project management of the accessioning and processing of materials.
    2. Programs: Carla on behalf of Rhonda. We had the screening of “Chinese Couplets.”  Upcoming events. May 20th Diversity & Children’s Literature (In the HUB).  June 8th webinar on “Managing Up.”
    3. Research & Professional Development. Krista and Christina received presentation grants.
    4. Carla on behalf of Melissa.  We had the screening of “Chinese Couplets.”
    5. Carla on behalf of Krista. No additional volunteers for the committee.  Will wait until fall to start up program.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections. See #9 below.
    7. Professional Governance. Michael not in attendance.
  5. Senate Representatives
    1. Committee on Courses. Tiffany not in attendance.
    2. Committee on Library and IT. Steve reported the committee met that day.  Committee is developing a business case proposal for a poster printing service in the library, which will be going up for budget shortly.
  6. Discussion: Bylaws and Affiliate Membership.
    1. The committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections will change CACLS to CAPA-L in the Bylaws. Comment was made on the need for the Bylaws to reflect the Call.
    2. Made standing rule to allow invited guests.

Meeting adjourned 3:01 p.m.

Membership Meeting: Mar. 8, 2016

2:00-3:27 pm
Location: Orbach 240

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Diane Bisom, Christina Cicchetti, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Julie Mason, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer,
Alison Scott, Sharon Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa.

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:02pm.

  1. Announcements
    April 12 is National Library Workers’ Day. Planning something for LAUC to do.
  2. Approval of Minutes
    No Quorum
  3. Systemwide Update
    1. Planning a LAUC 50th anniversary celebration
      Carla Reporting: Planning local celebration with historical photos and documents from LAUC
    2. UCOLASC (University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication) report
      Carla Reporting: update from Diane Mizrachi concern from all libraries regarding space, facilities, and budget. Steve stated there is an aspirational goal of library seating for 20% of students; we are currently at ~9% seating.  The RLFs are filling up earlier than originally projected; while it is harder now to fund new RLFs, UCLA & Berkeley are asked to generate and policy to document optimal funding levels.
    3. Possible meeting with new head of CDL
      LAUC President is meeting with CDL head, who is starting in May.
      1. Assembly at UC Merced, March 21st. Will have five poster sessions from new librarians.
      2. Registration is currently closed.
      3. Live webcast is available:  http://ucm.edu/e87dadAssembly Update
  4. APM 360 Revisions: how would we like to handle giving feedback?
    UCOP sent out entire APM 360 for revisions. Michael stated when items aren’t clearly stated or not in the MOU, the APMs precedence.  Tiffany suggested that if a committee or subgroup pertains to the APMs, they should be the ones to work on it.  Suggestions also to send out a general email to LAUC-R for anyone interested in reviewing the documents.  LAUC will accept all comments.  Diane M. is collecting comments at the meeting.  A union response will also be forthcoming.
  5. Report from the 2/9 brainstorming session
    1. Thanks to all to participated. From Carla’s notes: suggestions included respect and how we treat each other; the library as place; communication and interaction; training opportunities; technology programs.
    2. Michael suggested mapping the suggestions to activities, such as current or existing activities.
  6. Committee reports
    1. Personnel Committee: Julie Mason reporting.  No new positions were reviewed.
    2. Programs Committee: Rhonda Neugebauer reporting. Have ideas to implement.
    3. Research & Professional Development Committee: Julie M. reporting. Two submitted presentation grant proposals.  ($1500 research grant due end of March).  $1500 for everyone during the current fiscal year, with no carry-over.  Steve stated there is a NCSU Data Visualization Institute for which three librarians and one staff applied, which the library is committed to supporting fully.
    4. Diversity Committee: Melissa not attending.
    5. Mentoring Committee: Mentoring program approved by Library administration. Thanks to all who volunteered to be mentors.  Committee needs more members.
    6. Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections: Sharon Scott reporting elections are coming up.
    7. Professional Governance: Update on PAMs 2.1 & 2.2
      Recommendations: Retire 2.1, Update 2.2. Steve recommended reviewing complete PAM system.
  7. Senate Rep reports
    1. Committee on Courses: Tiffany reporting.  Committee will send back online course requests due to inadequate requirements (e.g. reading Wikipedia).  Need to ensure classes have a clear way to evaluate students.  Steve stated that UCOP wants pathways to get students through programs in three instead of four years.  On average, UCR degrees require six credits more than other UCs.
    2. Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication: Melissa Cardenas-Dow is the new representative.  Steve reported the 3/14 meeting was cancelled.
  8. Bylaws reminder: Carla stated it’s always a good idea to review the bylaws for currency, such as updating CACLS to CAPA-L

Meeting adjourned 3:27 p.m.

Membership Meeting: Jan. 12, 2016

2:00-3:10 pm
Location: Rivera 403

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Kuei Chiu, Christina Cicchetti, Ann Frenkel, Ken Furuta, Krista Ivy, Denise Kane, Angela Lee, Judy Lee, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer, David Rios, Anthony Sanchez, Alison Scott, Sharon Scott, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, Michael Yonezawa, Virginia Schilling (Guest).

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey.

  1. Systemwide report
    Carla Reporting.

    1. In the new UCLAS structure, the groups Shared Content Leadership Group (SCLG) and Direction and Oversight Committee (DOC) will have a LAUC representative included in the group.
    2. Assembly is at UC Merced in late March. Donald Barclay will be presenting on the new UCLAS structure.
    3. Three new system-wide LAUC committees are formed: Archives Taskforce, LAUC Journal Taskforce, and Web Content Committee. (see https://lauc.ucop.edu/committees for all LAUC committees).
    4. There was talk about sharing library strategic plans system-wide.
  1. LAUC Position Papers
    Carla started discussion regarding LAUC position papers, which will be voted upon by LAUC delegates during the Assembly to reaffirm, retire, or replace the below indicated position papers. Michael Yonezawa provided background information: historically and before librarian had a union, LAUC would state a position or provide clarification on issues or topics of concern which impacted librarians systemwide.  There was a question and discussion regarding the goals of the positions papers.  Patricia Smith-Hunt questioned if the position papers haven’t been reviewed in a while, how do we know if they’re implemented?  Alison Scott observed that the position papers were not written to take a position on something, but as technical guidance.  It was agreed by many that any replacements of position papers should be written as a position.  Discussion and/or results of each are indicated below.  If anyone wants to provide further feedback, email to Carla Arbagey, Tiffany Moxham, or new alternate delegate (when appointed), and cc Michael Yonezawa.

    1. Criteria for Appointment, Promotion and Advancement in the Librarian Series (Last revised May 30, 2003).
      1. Suggested action: Retire
    2. Development of Effective Communication between Statewide LAUC and Library Council (Last revised April 1989. Library Council no longer exists).
      Suggested action: Replace, but rewrite so it is more general.
    3. Documentation Guidelines for the Review of Librarians (Last revised June 1990). Suggested action: Retire
    4. Review Procedures for Librarians Outside the Normal Campus Peer Review Process (Established August 31, 1977. No revisions).
      • Discussion: Having a position on this allows us the opportunity to make a statement on the future of librarianship. However, it should be more generic, as an example “If a librarian is employed at two or more UC campuses, a fair and suitable process should be incorporated into the review process to provide meaningful and appropriate feedback.”  Ann Frankel observed that a position paper on this does not need to exist because it is already incorporated into the review process.
      • Suggested action: No clear position. Split between Retire and Replace
  2. Committee reports
    1. Bylaws: Sharon Scott reporting.  First committee meeting is in January 2016.
    2. Personnel Committee: Julie Mason reporting.  Upcoming meeting they will go over four tasks.  Upcoming hires in the library will compose of four librarians and three non-librarians.
    3. Programs Committee: Rhonda Neugebauer reporting. Still evaluating programs.
    4. Diversity Committee: Denise Kane reporting. They are working on a proposal for a group presentation.
    5. Mentoring Committee:
      Krista Ivy reporting.

      • Tallied survey to find out if staff if they are interested in becoming professionals. Sent out 100 surveys and received 33 responses.  Nineteen stated yes, 14 no.  Areas which were mentioned were digital curation, collection development, archives, and cyberinfrastructure.  Programming will support the program, and be available for all employees.  Recommend to reinstitute 5-6 month mentoring program, with 2 hours of release time.
      • Suggestion to talk with Lisa Dye on possibility to have librarians shadow colleagues at other UCs
      • Are recruiting more members, since there are only two members.
    6. Research & Professional Development Committee:
      Julie Mason reporting.

      1. Second call for presentation grants. March 2nd will have actual decision.  Full details are on the website at https://lauc.ucop.edu/committees/research-and-professional-development-committee
      2. All forms are on the LAUC-R website: http://laucr.ucr.edu/funding/
  3. Senate Rep reports
    1. Committee on Courses: Tiffany Moxham reporting they are meeting that week.
    2. Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication: No report because they received no meeting notification.
  4. Round-Robin postponed due to lack of time.
  5. Approval of November 10, 2015 minutes
    Minutes approved

Meeting adjourned 3:10 p.m.

Membership Meeting: Nov. 10, 2015

2:00‐3:15 pm
Location: Rivera 403

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Melissa Cardenas‐Dow,
Christina Cicchetti, Ann Frenkel, JJ Jacobson, Angela Lee, Judy Lee,
Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Julie Mason, Eric Milenkiewicz, Tiffany Moxham,
Rhonda Neugebauer, David Rios, Patricia Smith‐Hunt, Michael Yonezawa,
Virginia Schilling (Guest).

Meeting called to order by Carla Arbagey at 2:05 p.m.
1. Approval of September 8, 2015 minutes
a. Minutes approved

2. Welcome to new librarians and librarian series attendees
a. Carla welcomed new librarians and those new to the series:
Jessica Geiser, JJ Jacobson, Burges Jules, Angela Lee, and Eric Milenkiewicz.
b. As a result of new librarians in LAUC‐R, we will have another delegate in LAUC.

3. Systemwide report
a. Carla Reporting.
i. Assembly is at UC Merced in late March; Dan Russell, who works at Google, is a possible
speaker for the Assembly.  Donald Barclay, who is on the Direction and Oversight
Committee (DOC), is another possible speaker.
ii. UCLAS 2.0 is still being worked on.  The SAGs have officially been dismissed; however,
any projects which were authorized through them and have not yet completed are still
ongoing.  New structure includes the Council of University Librarians (CoUL); DOC; and
Shared Content Leadership Group (SCLG).
iii. New library at UCSB opening soon (January 4, 2016)
iv. APM Taskforce 360‐4 recommendations sent to UCOP.  UCOP will respond & send out
new APM in winter for review.  “Research & Creative Activity” is included in APM language.
v. CDL Director search is still underway.
vi. Three new system‐wide LAUC committees are formed:  Archives, LAUC Journal, and
Web Content. (see https://lauc.ucop.edu/committees for all LAUC committees).
Clarification question was asked regarding the archives committee; the LAUC archives
are for systemwide materials (not local materials).  The physical archives are at UCB.
They use box.com for documents.  In the past, since several (depreciated) systems were
used to store electronic documents, some materials are hard to find.

4. Committee reports
a. Bylaws:  No Report; chair not present.
b. Personnel Committee:  No Report.
c. Professional Governance Committee: Michael Yonezawa reporting.  Completed first of two
charges; decided no guests on committee.
d. Programs Committee: Rhonda Neugebauer reporting.  Still in brainstorming stage.
e. Research & Professional Development Committee:
i. Julie Mason reporting.
1. Both represented and non‐represented librarians get $1,000 for professional development
this fiscal year.
2. Local research funds are available in the amount of $1,500 for represented, and $500
for unrepresented.  Proposals are due by the end of March.
3. The first meeting of the systemwide committee was 11/8.
4. The next call for Presentation Grants is 1/20/2016, with proposals due 2/17/2016.
Will be forwarded to systemwide 3/2/2016.  Applicant must be accepted for the presentation
before the deadline of the proposals.  Full details are on the website at
https://lauc.ucop.edu/committees/research‐and‐professional‐development‐committee
5. All forms are on the LAUC‐R website:  http://laucr.ucr.edu/funding/
ii. Steven Mandeville‐Gamble stated he and Lee Banda are looking into increasing
Professional Development base funding to $1,500/year.  Steve said he would like it at that level
annually.
f. Diversity Committee: Melissa Cardenas‐Dow reporting.  Still in the brainstorming stage.
Collaborating with the program committee.  The National Diversity in Libraries 2016 Conferenc
will be at UCLA; LAUC‐R should submit a proposal. Website at http://ndlc.info/
g. Mentoring Committee:  No Report; chair not present.

5. Senate Rep reports
a. Committee on Courses:  Tiffany Moxham reporting.
i. The system used for course approval (currently called CRAMS) is changing.  They are trying
to streamline and simplify the process.
ii. Regarding eCourses, Tiffany reported there was discussion and concern regarding online
proctoring and authentication of students.  The new eCourse requests will require a statement
of the system used to deliver the course.  Concern on the content of eCourses and creating
an effective online experience.  Proctoring adds an additional expense onto the student;
there is no online proctoring on campus.  Steve stated that might change in the long‐term,
that G73 was being looked at as a possible place, but they require dedicated workstations for
proctoring. An issue of UC systemwide eCourses is while UCR may deliver some of the courses,
we receive no funds or enrollment as a result.  Students in these systemwide eCourses
do not have a NetID and are not able to use our resources.  It was reported that
the Masters in Engineering program uses lecture capture for their courses.
b. Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication: No report.

6. Vote to Approve committees
a. Committees were approved.

7. Round‐Robin of all members present
a. Carla Arbagey: presented a poster at CLA on Reinventing the Library Newsletter
b. Ann Frenkel: awarded a publishing contract and is one of three (and primary English) editors
of an anthology of underground printing in Poland.
c. Melissa Cardenas‐Dow: is working on LA 500, which is part of a nationwide program.  Second
screening of the 1st  episode will be at Riverside Public Library.
d. Rhonda Neugebauer: working on open access implementation.
e. JJ Jacobson: ABC‐CLIO asked to write virtual worlds immersive narrative. Also, created a
facebook page for Eaton.
f. Eric Milenkiewicz: participated in National History Day Learning Lab
g. Julie Mason: working on makerboxes for Rivera and Orbach.  Working group meets on
“Maker Mondays,” in OSL 122, 10‐11:30am.
h. Judy Lee: Worked on community cultural family village festival.
i. Steven Mandeville‐Gamble:  Writing in book, Managing Change in 21 st Century Libraries, with
Rebecca Lubas.
j. Tiffany Moxham: outreach research project resulting in poster (STFM) and presentation (MLA)
k. Christina Cicchetti: K‐12 Inland Empire Librarian Roundtable, working with group to provide
info to help students be college ready.
l. Virginia Schilling:  created Pinterest for California Digital Newspaper Collection Project.
m. Patricia Smith‐Hunt: Working on smaller digitization projects, and gearing upto be a vendor
to work with outside organizations.  Also, CAPA‐L will have additional information upcoming.

8. As may arise
a. Steve reported that 32‐33 cluster hire job announcements went out.

Meeting adjourned 3:15 p.m.

Membership Meeting: Sep. 8, 2015

2:00‐3:30 pm
Location: Rivera 403

Members Present:  Carla Arbagey (Chair), Kat Koziar (Secretary), Diane Bisom, Marie Bronoel,
Chistina Cicchetti, Ann Frenkel, Denise Kane, Steven Mandeville-Gamble, Julie Mason,
Stephanie Milner, Tiffany Moxham, Rhonda Neugebauer, David Rios, Anthony Sanchez,
Alison Scott, Ying Shen, Patricia Smith‐Hunt, Michael Yonezawa

Meeting called to order by Rhonda Neugebauer at 2:02 p.m.
1. Gavel Exchange
a.  As outgoing chair, Rhonda Neugebauer expressed appreciation and thank yous
to all who helped her during the past year; recapped the year as one of advocacy and
engagement emphasizing achievements of increased voting within LAUC‐R,
change of designee in review process, initiation of tracking recruitments in personnel, and start of LAUC‐R archive (as an idea which will be implemented this year by her).
b.  Rhonda handed over LAUC‐R chair‐ship to Carla Arbagey by passing over the gavel.
c. Carla stated her platform for the year of “improving morale” and expressed desire to create a
space where all may share opinions, and ideas will be respected and listened to with an open
mind.

2. Announcements
a. David Rios shared his duties as Director of Special Research Projects which include working
with UL, AULS and staff as appropriate to conduct research.  Duties involve labor relation
support; assistance with campus cluster hires; liaison with Conacyt, Conaculta, UC‐Mexus to support UC‐Mexico Initiative; Inland Empire Memories project; HSI status; and, other duties as assigned.  His new office will be in Rivera 431.

3. Approval of June 9 minutes
a. June 9 minutes were approved.

4. Ongoing Business
a. APM 360‐4 Changes
i. Carla provided background on the APM changes and creation of APM taskforce.
Deadline for feedback for current proposed changes is today (9/8); however, deadline
might be extended.  Asked for any feedback from group.  Michael Yonezawa stated if
the level of feedback provided is essentially nitpicking the language, there probably
won’t be a consensus from a large group of people.
ii. Carla stated current proposed changes only impact non‐represented librarians. Tiffany
Moxham requested clarification regarding how many people this change impacts.  David
Rios responded five currently, but seven when the two reference manager positions are
filled.
b. Changes to The Call for librarian reviews
i. Carla stated nothing received yet.  Patricia Smith‐Hunt stated we should receive
something September 30. Steven Mandeville‐Gamble confirmed Patricia’s statement,
adding VPAP Office is still folding in recent changes; their original target date was
9/3/2015.

5. New Business
a. Committee Chairs and Charges
i. Carla: Good response rate of those interested in serving on committees; however, still
need Parliamentarians.  Committee members should check their email for this year’s
additional charges from the Chair.
ii. Action Item: Committee chairs to send membership list to Carla by next membership
meeting.

b. Senate Committee invited guests
i. Carla gave UL privilege to select the Senate Committee invited guests.

c. Meeting Schedule for the Year
i. Bimonthly with Discussions/Theme Meetings
1. Carla suggested bimonthly meeting where during the off‐month we can have
brown‐bag discussions.  Rhonda stated regret at not having many discussions.
Kat Koziar stated she liked the idea, that it will provide set time which we
already set aside where we can have librarian discussions or specific workshops.
There was general consensus for this idea by nodding of heads which was
confirmed verbally by the Chair.
ii. Date/time
1. General consensus on keeping the same day/time.  Ann Frenkel pointed out that
the time would make it more of a snack‐bag than a brown bag during the off‐
month discussions.
2. Meetings will be bimonthly, on the second Tuesday of the month from 2:00‐
3:30p.m. with discussions during the off‐month.

6. Report from LAUC Transition Meeting
a. Carla Reported:
i. The new President of LAUC, Diane Mizrachi (UCLA), stated her platform is to “Celebrate
LAUC member scholarship & achievement.”
ii. New LAUC website lauc.ucop.edu.  Check it out.  Website cost $40k to develop, using
discretionary funds from more than one campus.
1. To support the new website, Web Content Group is being formed focusing on
two areas: 1)  provide news from campuses to lauc.ucop.edu; 2) Social Media
iii. Suggestion to create a LAUC Journal on eScholarship to increase visibility of
librarianship.  Steve stated Diane Mizrachi presented the idea to Council of University
Librarians (CoUL) who expressed strong support and explored different options for
implementation and how to remove barriers such as a journal cannot be formed on
eScholarship, but must be an outside independent entity.
iv. They are looking into creating an Archivist for LAUC.

7. As may arise
a. UC Libraries Advisory Structure (UCLAS) 2.0
i. New structure is still being revised; there are ongoing discussions between CoUL and the
Directional Oversight Committee (DOC).  Ann stated she is on the DOC group; there is
nothing new to announce, but when the announcement is made she is willing to walk us
through the new structure.

b. CACLS Name Change.
i. Patricia requested clarification of the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on the Librarian
Series (CACLS) name change.
1. Steve stated all other UC campuses use CAP or CAPA, and that the name CACLS
is misleading, since the group advises the UL and not the Chancellor.  The name change
from CACLS to CAP or CAPA is recommended to bring the name in alignment with other UC
campuses.  Since the faculty use the term CAP (Committee on Academic Personnel), we’ve been asked to append an L at the end of our name: Committee on Appointment, Promotion and Advancement‐Librarians (CAPA‐L).

c. Review, Promotion and Advancement Process.
i. Steve asked if it is helpful during the review process to allow managers/admins to have
input at the beginning so candidates may understand what managers are looking for.  He
shared that the majority of push‐back he received from VPAP office during the process has
been regarding profiles which the VPAP didn’t think deserved merit increase; that 11% of laddering faculty get no merit during their process, and the VPAP thinks librarians would be similarly 11%.  The resulting statement from Steve was that some profiles didn’t contain enough evidence supporting merit to convince the VPAP.
ii. Patricia stated it is helpful to get other/extra input at the beginning of the process.
iii. Steve suggested creating sample profiles:  what does merit work look like at the other UCs
at the three different levels?  The expectation is there is an increasingly sophisticated level of
performance as librarians increase in levels and career.  UCLA bases merit not on the amount
of work, but the caliber of work.  Suggests having a conversation of what merit‐worthy work
looks like.
iv. Carla stated it is a good idea as long as the conversation is open and transparent.
v. Patricia asked what others think of including the manager/admin piece.
vi. Rhonda stated that for years people complained about not having an admin session.
vii. Diane stated her past experience from other campuses supports having the
manager/admin input; that having input from managers at the beginning is helpful.
viii. Alison stated there seems to be three perspectives for workshops 1) those going under
review, 2) the review initiators 3) for both 1 & 2 so they understand the process.
ix. Michael stated his experience from serving in the peer‐review process on other campuses
is every campus is different.  They each have different processes and levels of expectations.
Discussing what quality work looks like is important, as well as providing examples which are
diverse and open to encompass all varieties of librarianship here.
x. Alison emphasized the importance in learning how to construct a persuasive file as seen
by non‐librarian academics/administrators.
xi. Diane included we need to understand what is impactful in what we do.
xii. Steve suggested we don’t ask the question “Why” often enough.  Why are we doing what we
are doing?  We get caught up in the what and the how, and forget the why.  Why explains what and how.
xiii. Alison suggested if you don’t have a “so what” answer embedded in your argument, your
answer won’t be as persuasive.
xiv. Carla emphasized workshops are needed for all three levels, and would be helpful for the
process.
xv. Marie stated if perception is key, then we need to know the weight of different areas if
the perception by the reviewers is one is more important than the other (e.g. publishing is more important than committee work).
xvi. Diane stated that all areas are equally important with the exception of area 1, in which
librarians should be excellent.  And the goal is to build a well‐rounded career which  touches
an all areas.
xvii. Tiffany stated that other institutions/organizations have very well defined merit processes;
however, we don’t.  So, we need to learn how to write our statements effectively by including
the impact our work has.
xviii. Carla asked who would lead these workshops and improvement of the process.
xix. Steve stated the new Director of Personnel and Human Resources (DPHR) would lead,
and that he is deeply involved with implementing the process correctly.
xx. Michael voiced a concern that a non-librarian may see things as black and white, and not
understand the nuances and variability of librarianship.
xxi. Carla questioned if the new DPHR would be here in time.
xxii. Steve stated he was making an offer tomorrow.  That training the review initiator is the
role of Senior Leadership in the library as per the contract/APM/MOU.
xxiii. Christina stated a need for reviews to be written consistently.
xxiv. Steve stated they are working on figuring out how the review files can be written better
and convincingly.  In the past, a lot of additional work was put into making review files stronger cases, and that AULs worked to strengthen the candidate up for review.  The bar is being raised across the whole campus for all candidates; the whole organization is going through hard
leadership.  The library senior leadership is trying to create the ability for success in a rapidly
changing environment.  Hard questions and conversations are ahead to rethink what the bar
looks like.
xxv. Carla reinforced we need to know what success looks like.
xxvi. Patricia thanked Steve for his willingness to work with the librarians through this.

Meeting adjourned 3:09 p.m.
Minutes Approved November 9, 2015 LAUC‐R Member Meeting.