Committee Descriptions from Draft Bylaws
Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction & Elections Committee
- To nominate a slate of candidates to serve on CACLS for presentation to the membership by May 15. The full membership of the committee shall be in attendance for this purpose. If a committee member is unable to be present, the alternate shall serve; or if that is impossible, the LAUC-R Chair shall appoint a member pro tem;
- To review the Bylaws of LAUC-R annually or at the special request of the LAUC-R Chair, to assure that they are consistent with the LAUC Bylaws and effectively meet LAUC-R needs;
- To review all proposed amendments to the LAUC-R Bylaws to determine their appropriateness, and report its recommendations to the LAUC-R Chair and the Executive Board;
- To count the ballots in all elections and report the results to the Secretary within five working days after the last day of voting. The full membership of the committee shall be in attendance at the time of the counting of the ballots. If a committee member is unable to be present, or a conflict of interest arises when a member is a candidate on the ballot to be counted, the alternate shall serve; or if that is impossible, the LAUC-R Chair shall appoint a member pro temp.
- The Committee Chair receives the final draft of each librarian position announcement from the LAUC-R Chair.
- The Committee shall have a maximum of five working days to:
- review the overall contents of the documents;
- evaluate the job duties for appropriate rank; and
- evaluate the qualifications stated in terms of the job duties.
- submit its recommendations and comments to the LAUC-R Chair, who shall convey them to the appropriate UCR Library administrator.
- The Committee Chair meets with new members upon arrival to discuss the peer review process and procedures, the function of CACLS and the purposes and functions of LAUC and LAUC-R.
- The Committee reviews the New Librarian Orientation Checklist annually, and revises as necessary to keep it up-to-date.
- To address other matters at the request of the LAUC-R Chair and consider and develop recommendations concerning personnel matters as appropriate, except those referred to in Article II, Section 5 of these Bylaws.
Professional Governance Committee
- To serve as the major advisory body to the LAUC-R Chair on issues concerning revisions of the Academic Personnel Manual (APM) affecting librarians, peer review and other professional governance issues;
- To serve as the major advisory body to the LAUC-R Chair on issues concerning revisions of the Personnel Administrative Memoranda (PAM) affecting librarians, peer review and other professional governance issues;
- To address other concerns at the request of the LAUC-R Chair and consider and develop recommendations on matters of professional governance as appropriate.
- To plan, sponsor and present programs by librarians, or of interest to librarians.
Research & Professional Development Committee
- To assist in the preparation of research proposals submitted by LAUC-R members.
- To review research proposals submitted by LAUC-R members to the University-wide Research Grants for Librarians Program, and to the LAUC-R Research Program.
- To recommend consideration of proposals to the LAUC Research and Professional Development Committee.
- To approve and award funds to proposals submitted to the LAUC-R Research Program.
- To be responsible for the research and career development calendar and for developing, monitoring and revising, as needed, procedures for carrying out the review of the research proposals of LAUC-R members at the LAUC and LAUC-R level, according to guidelines established by the LAUC Research and Professional Development Committee and the LAUC-R Research Committee.
- To advise the LAUC-R Chair on issues related to research by librarians and address other concerns at the request of the Chair and consider and develop recommendations as appropriate.
- To monitor the professional development budget.
- To make recommendations on the funding of the professional development requests of LAUC-R members.
- To address other concerns at the request of the Chair and consider and develop recommendations on matters of professional development as appropriate.
- To serve as the major advisory body to the LAUC-R chair and Executive Board, as requested, on issues and initiatives of diversity, both local and systemwide;
- To consider and develop recommendations and implementation strategies on matters and initiatives of diversity, both local and systemwide in cooperation with the LAUC Committee on Diversity;
- To address other subjects at the request of the LAUC-R chair on matters of diversity in the UCR Libraries.
- To recruit participants for and administer the LAUC-R Future Librarian and Information Specialist Mentor program;
- To facilitate communication between individuals interested in a career in library and information science or new library professionals with academic library professionals through the LAUC-R Future Librarian and Information Specialist Mentor Program;
- To review and revise the procedures and policies of the LAUC-R Future Librarian and Information Specialist Mentor Program to ensure that the program meets the participants’ needs.