Tag Archives: Membership Meetings

Membership Meeting: June 9, 2015

OSL 240
2:00-3:30

Members Present: Sharon K Scott, Krista Ivy, David Rios, Carla Arbagey, Steve Mandeville-Gamble, Alison Scott, Diane Bisom, Kat Koziar, Denise Kane, Melissa Cardenas-Dow, Anthony Sanchez, Ann Frenkel, Rhonda Neugebauer, Judy Lee, Patricia Smith Hunt, Kuei Chiu, Marie Bronoel, Julie Mason, Michele Potter, Tiffany Moxham

  1. Welcome, announcements, recaps, accomplishments: RN – June 10th Webinar for UCLAS sent out via email. SKS – made announcements on recent LAUC-R exec board and CACLS members.
  2. LAUC-R Current Pending Items

A. RN – Interviews underway for the Klein Science Fiction librarian. AScott – Thanks membership for participation in the presentations, feedback, and meetings. RN – Asks if anyone has ideas for LAUC-R sessions for interviews. AS – Suggests using the summary found on the LAUC-R website instead of a printout of the new candidacy website. SMG – Suggests using a person as a resource for follow up questions from the candidate in addition to the LAUC-R website summary document. AF – Recommends handing out a document for CACLS related information, as well as anything related to the peer review process. Suggests more time for academic research interests and professional experiences rather than information on the peer review process. CA – Suggests formalizing the meeting with a more structured agenda and what LAUC-R’s goals are in this meeting. PSM – Mentions possibility in the past of attaching CACLS/Peer Review process to the job description. Also brings up issue of giving questions to the candidates, and agrees with a restructuring. DB – Suggests sending links to the LAUC-R documents in email. AF – Mentions that they are included. DR – Mentions that the HR person would most likely do make any amendments to new candidate website. RN – Would like to nail down the goals of the meeting. Suggests that Carla takes on restructuring process as part of taking on the Chairship. CA – Agrees.

B. Update to review process via VPAP Dr. Amae Walker: SMG – Library Admin has submitted a set of revisions to the call, and the VPAP’s office has begun looking them over. Has also revised document based on LAUC-R recommendations. VPAP’s office has all documents, timeline is unknown currently, but should be finalized by early June or July. MP – The process has been enjoyable and the VPAP’s office has been responsive. CA – Noted concern for reciprocal viewing of documents from administration and confirmed that it was asked for in letter to VPAP.

  1. Reports from LAUC-R Officers

A. RN – Budget

B. AS – May minutes were sent out before meeting today, please send revisions.

C. CA – Personnel job ads reviewed. Webinar on staff morale was successful.

D. Discussion and Decision about Representatives: RN – Ideas for assessment of the pilot project? Initial pilot was for 2 years. CA – First year was formative, second year more successful. AF – Question regarding the institutionalized nature of the appointments. Seems to be dependent on a receptive chair. MP – Does depend on the chair’s interpretation of “guest” as a part of the faculty senate committees. The pilot was started to feel out these concerns. SMG – Receives letter asking for representatives from LAUC-R. Believes Michael Yonezawa was invited to more meetings than the prior year, mostly likely to his familiarity amongst the academic senate. Academic Senate does not reach out to admin for agenda items, unlike other campus entities that may have more roles aligned with the academic senate activities. KK – How long are the senator’s terms? SMG – Depends on a year or more, the chair is on a 2 year cycle, while vice chair is on a year cycle, while members cycle in and out mostly on a yearly basis. Parliamentarian is also a 2 year appointment. MB – Likes the idea of the library guest being there for 2 years in order to become familiar with faculty. JL – Agrees with Marie that is necessary to be on a committee for at least 2 years to build relationships amongst faculty. CA – Mentions a lack of utility of serving on the committee on courses. Does not want to recommend losing our influence, but would like to assess the basis for serving on this committee. MP – Mentions the usefulness of having a line of information on new courses and being able to be ahead of the course for any needed resources. AF – Suggests someone from collection development being on the committee on courses. Brings up the issue of online courses. SMG – Might suggest a debriefing for the recent cluster hires. SKS – Suggests that LAUC-R executive board take it up. RN – Will refer to exec board to refine the issue. MP – When do we get the letter from the senate asking for reps? SMG – After summer was over, around September. MP – Once concern is that their terms might be different from LAUC’s. Should work to get ahead of their letter asking for reps. SMG – Coming this fall Takashita will be chair and is willing to meet over the summer to plan for upcoming academic year. MP – Right now might be advisable to get the appointments. CA – Will send out committee preferences earlier this year. SMG – Cindy Palmer, chief executive officer for day to day operations has ended her tenure and is moving on from UCR.

  1. Committee Chair Reports and Updates

A. Upcoming Programs: AS – Upcoming virtual brown bag lunch with Carlos Rodriguez to discuss learning spaces and student staffing. SMG – Grand Valley State University is also hosting a conference on these very same issues, will look into funding library representatives to attend. Recommends sending half page note by week’s end for wanting to attend conference. AF – Send out description of GVSU conference to LAUC-R membership. SMG – Suggests road trips to tour library facilities and garner ideas for library spaces. MB – Suggests touring of Loma Linda Library.

B. SKS – System bylaws are changing so the committee on committees will most likely be working on those in the future year.

C. Research and Development: JM – was able to refund all submittals through LAUC-R. Receipts needed for Sherri as soon as possible. Has changes on system-wide committee for grants if anyone is interested.

D. Diversity: CA – Micro-aggressions webinar was successful. Would like to have a book club start over the summer. System-wide committee is looking to track LAUC through the ages, most demographics reports are unavailable. Numbers are dwindling and records show through UCOP that we are at the lowest since record keeping. SMG – provost office has sent out information on their commitment to hiring practices regarding diversity. DR – Language will be added to relay a strong commitment to diversity on behalf of candidates. DB – Reads paragraphs on UCR’s commitment to hiring diverse candidates, and to diversity overall.

E. Committee on Professional Governance: JL – Nothing to report.

F. LAUC-R Website Update: Yoko Kudo not present. RN – working with Alexandra to transition the contents. CA – System-wide update will be upcoming.

  1. 2015 LAUC-R Elections: Election results sent out.
  2. 2015 LAUC System-wide Ballots: Sent out.
  3. Additional LAUC System-wide Activities
    A. Carla will spearhead UCLAS changes.
  1. New Campus Cluster Hires:

A. SMG – New lines being created. Received over 100 proposals. Provost has approved 130 positions. At least 8 faculty members will be hired within the Mexican diaspora. New faculty has been spread out evenly among the colleges. Meetings will be forthcoming for roll out of hiring. Might expect faculty to arrive by winter. There has been a campus wide space study in order to accommodate the new faculty hires. Spaces within the library might become homes for faculty or programs that resonate with the mission of the library. Librarian positions may be present in the next cluster of new hires. JL – Would like to see allocations for collections. AScott – Has been tasked to make strategic budget requests in order to target certain programs or necessary resources. SMG – The campus has completely revised the budget process. Revisions may include negotiations with the colleges and schools aligned with the library to determine budget allocations. KI – When is the new budget expected to take hold? SMG – This year has been determined as a hold harmless year, in order to assess impacts, and by the end of June 2016 the new budget process will go live. Colleges and schools are being tasked to be more creative about fund raising. DB – Many budget systems are moving to new IT systems as well.

 

Meeting Adjourned 3:10pm

Membership Meeting: May 12, 2015

Rivera 140

Members Present: Rhonda Neugebauer, Carla Arbagey, Anthony Sanchez, Sharon Scott, Kuei Chiu, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Eric Milenkiewicz, Manuel Urrizola, Stephanie Milner, Christina Cicchetti, Michael Yonezawa, Judy Lee, Marie Bronoel, Julie Mason, Ying Shen, Michele Potter, Tiffany Moxham

  1. Welcomes, announcements, recaps: CA – Room 240 will feature an hourly charge of $20 per hour starting July 1st. MU – Gwido Zlatkes will retire as of July 1st. SM – May the 4th event was a success, with almost 300 people attend. Surveys and raffles were also well received by attendants. EM – Turn out exceeded expectations and confirmed interest in Eaton collection and pop culture. Students would like a comic book artist or sci-fi writer would be recommended. KC – Recommends library or LAUC-R funding for future iterations of May the 4th PSM – exhibits committee discussed the event and future pocket of funds for similar events. JL – Would LAUC-R funds kickstart all events? Concerns regarding the sustainability of funding all events, and recommends the library fund these types of programs. MU – Petko ceremony will be held this Thursday 3-4:30. JL – Judy Yung presentation and lectures was successful tying into faculty research and teaching curriculum. Thanks LAUC-R for support of the program. Community members, faculty, and students all had positive reactions to Judy Yung’s talks. MY – Suggests to chair a reception, recognition, or gift from LAUC-R to retiring members. RN – Digital Zombies, and interactive library assignment, as put on by Juliette Levy, a history faculty member was presented to the library last Friday. CA – a new library newsletter will be put out by the administration, still encourages people to submit to the staff newsletter.
  2. LAUC-R Pending and other requests: LAUC-R is invited to have sessions for the four candidate interviews for the Science Fiction Librarian. CA – Suggests having a session devoted to explaining the benefits of LAUC. PSM – Suggests providing a packet on information regarding LAUC and CACLS. SKS – Likes Carla’s suggestion, most questions asked are covered by other sessions and the review process should be explained in detail to candidates. JM – Motion to create a blog entry for candidates to welcome and give them information regarding the review process. CA – Amendment to motion to have the Committee on Personnel take this on. MY – motion is not required for this action, instead a charge can be given to Committee on Personnel, and then voted upon.
  3. Workflow of Review Process: MP – Committee of CACLS and LAUC members to present suggestions for the review process. MP – suggests a PowerPoint of the review process and procedures would be helpful. MP – Commentary for VPAP Walker needed by tomorrow. MB – The document should come from LAUC, as the delegate represented most of LAUC members. RN – members should meet tomorrow to finalize document.
  4. LAUC Assembly: RN – Information included on the packet.
  5. Committee on Elections: Nominations have been announced.
  6. Minutes from April 14th: No discussion, CA – Motion to approve, SS – 2nd. Motion approved.

Meeting adjourned 5/12

Membership Meeting: Apr. 14, 2015

Orbach 240

Present: Rhonda Neugebauer, Carla Arbagey, Patricia Smith Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Alexandra Dolan-Mescal, Guido Zlatkes, Sharon Scott, Anthony Sanchez, Stephen Mitchell, Julie Mason, Kat Koziar, Ying Shen, Marie Bronoel, Christina Cicchetti, Michele Potter, Tiffany Moxham, Manuel Urrizola,

  1. Welcome, Announcements: CA – Newsletter has been issued today. SM – R’Courses have been successful on campus, with many offerings. SM has been instrumental in bringing the program to UCR and providing support. MY – US News has deemed UC online courses a failure, was discussed in an article talking about MOOCS. MY – Updates to APM changes with respect to review will be discussed this coming Thursday.
  2. LAUC-R Pending Requests: RN – LAUC-R asked for more time with candidates, denied by leadership team. RN – Review process proposed changes. Reps from LAUC/CACLS met with VPAP Walker.

Preparation for the LAUC assemblies and LAUC Systemwide Discussions: RN – Van pool will leave Friday. CC – Special assemblies held last week on the by-laws regarding membership. CA – will hold an afternoon panel at the LAUC assemblies on reorganization

Membership Meeting: Mar. 10, 2015

Members Present: Rhonda Neugebauer, Melissa Cardenas Dow, Stephanie Milner, Gwido Zlatkes, Anthony Sanchez, Kat Koziar, Sharon K. Scott, Ginger Schilling, Christina Cicchetti, Marie Bronoel, Julie Mason, Ying Shen, Manuel Urrizola, Patricia Smith Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Carla Arbagey, Kuei Chiu, Steve Mitchell

1. Welcome, announcements
a. MCD: ReCap on past grants and programs here on campus relating to Latino/Chicano Studies. “Strategically Where Do we go from Here?” Strong community support and attendance. Intersectionality was explored as well as demonstrations in numbers as evidenced by 2006 rallies in Los Angeles. Not wanting to tie organization strength to political representation, more emphasis on community participation.

2. Preparation for the LAUC Assembly
a. MB: Has booked a fleet vehicle, holds 9 people including the driver. All spots have been filled. Members reminded to send in their electronic registration.
b. SKS: All campuses have sent in feedback. Will be further discussed at upcoming LAUC assembly. If possible, feedback from other campuses will be distributed.

3. Reports from LAUC-R Officers, Reps, and Delegates
a. Chair: RN: Sent letter to ask for more time for LAUC during interviews. Dan Tsang will also be on campus next week. Lunch will be in 240.
b. Secretary: AS: Nothing to report.
c. Vice Chair: CA: Personnel Job ad reviews, orientations for new librarians.
d. Delegates to LAUC April Assembly: CC: Will meet in the future with Chair, or CPG in preparation of the assembly. MY: Will there be a vote? CC: Strong inclination of vote for the assembly based on surveys to see how many delegates will be present.

4. Committee Chair Reports and/or Updates
a. Mentoring Committee New Chair: Krista Ivy not present.
b. Programs: PSM and MU: Nothing to report.
c. Diversity: CA: Upcoming program on March 18th regarding microaggressions.
d. Committee on Committees: SKS: Nothing to report
e. Personnel: CA: Nothing to report.
f. Committee on Professional Governance: Judy Lee not present
g. Committee on Research and Professional Development: JM: Local grants will be due on March 31st, the systemwide due date has already passed and are being reviewed.

5. Interview Candidate Sessions with LAUCR Members
a. Letter has been sent, will be reviewed by Leadership Team

6. Contributions to Newsletter: CA: Submissions or joining a meeting is encouraged. April 14th will be distributed.

7. Updates
a. CA: System wide Web Redesign Committee has been active and will need submissions for the meet our member’s pages.

Meeting Adjourned 2:32pm

Membership Meeting: Feb. 10, 2015

February 10th, 2015

2:00-3:30

 

Present: Michael Yonezawa, Melissa Cardenas Dow, Carla Arbagey, Sharon K Scott, Judy Lee, Marie Bronoel, Rhonda Neugebauer, Krista Ivy, David Rios, Anthony Sanchez, Kuei Chiu, Steve Mitchell, Julie Mason, Jessica Greene, Ginger Schilling, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michele Potter, Denise Kane, Ying Shen

 

  1. Welcome, announcements
    1. MCD – ALA Taskforce on Equity and Inclusion has deployed a survey, shared URL. Reporting will occur in April 2014.
    2. RN – New chair of mentoring committee, Krista Ivy.
  2. Reports from LAUC-R Officers, Reps, and Delegates
    1. Chair: RN – Daniel Tsang program. First program to be open to the entire library. Union meeting will be held in the afternoon, also hosted by Dan Tsang. Will include a 2nd talk in the afternoon on corporatization of academia.
    2. Secretary: AS – Nothing to report. January minutes approved.
    3. Vice Chair/Chair Elect: CA – Nothing to report.
    4. Delegate to LAUC Assembly: CC – Nothing to report.
    5. Reps to LAUC systemwide committees
    6. Reps to academic senate committees
  3. Committee Chair Reports and Updates
    1. Mentoring Committee: KI – Spoke of plans to restart mentoring program in the Fall. JDG – Would like to survey membership for interest.
    2. Programs: RN – Paraguay lecture tomorrow at noon.
    3. Diversity: CA – Nothing to report.
    4. Committee on Committees: SKS – Nothing to report.
    5. Personnel: CA – Nothing to report.
    6. CPG: JL – Nothing to report.
    7. Committee on Research and Professional Development: JM – Reminder of upcoming deadlines for grant proposals (local) at the end of March 31st.
    8. MB – Suggestion by Marie to travel via university van to UCSD assembly on April 17th. Budget will be determined by MB.
  4. Interview Candidate Sessions with LAUC-R Members
    1. CA – Diminishing membership at LAUC-R session represents a problem. Members are encouraged to attend these meetings to present a positive face to candidates. SKS – Suggests more time for the review process during the LAUCR sessions with candidates. Particularly allowing for more than 30 minutes allows the candidate to ask question and interact more with librarians. JDG – Motion to ask administration for a longer LAUCR session by 15 minutes taken from the lunch or another session during the day. Motion Approved.
  5. New Ad-Hoc Working Groups
    1. LAUC Assessment of Health of the Profession in the UC: SM – Handout of statistics, will continue to cobble together more statistics. Also, a survey on morale will be explored. Primary concern is gathering numbers of people.
    2. Proposed Professional Topics/Themes to discuss: RN – Is there still support for this charge? Or interest? MB – Suggests addressing topics as they arise. SM – Suggests informal LAUCR programs.
    3. Peer Review Process Changes and Review by LAUCR for the VPAP office: RN – Suggests put together a document for the administration. MP – CACLS and Judy met with Dr. Walker on Jan. 22nd to get her perspective on this issue as well as others. Dr. Walker asked many questions. She is aware that we are the only campus with a library department whose peer review is not headed by the dean of the library. She has heard of a compromise that includes allowing review documents to be extended to the VPAP in case of an agreement. Emphasized a preference for rules, face to face meetings for CACLS or ad hocs, and electronic documents. SM – Suggests a meeting with LAUC-R and CACLS regarding the deliberations regarding the review process. MP – Suggests coming back as a group together to share information and gather opinions.
    4. Task force to review opportunities to serve on Academic Senate Committees:
  6. CPG Discussion: JL & SKS – Did not meet until January. Charge discusses membership of LAUC. Committee has put together three suggestions regarding future actions regarding the LAUC membership. Full options will be forthcoming. March 5th will be deadline for comments on option. Responses will be gathered by Rhonda.
  7. Newsletter: CA – being printed this afternoon.
  8. Meeting Adjourned 3:30pm.

Membership Meeting: Jan. 13, 2015

January 13th, 2015, 2:00-3:30

Present: Melissa Cardenas-Dow, Eric Milenkiewicz, Sharon K. Scott, Yoko Kudo, Carla
Arbagey, David Rios, Kat Koziar, Marie Bronoel, Ying Shen, Rhonda Neugebauer, Judy Lee,
Christina Cicchetti, Anthony Sanchez, Ginger, Julie Ree, Julie Mason, Patricia Smith Hunt,
Tiffany Moxham, Steve Mitchell, Michael Yonezawa, Stephanie Milner,

Meeting Started: 2:05

1. Welcome to New Members
a. Kat Koziar
b. Melissa Cardenas-Dow

2. Announcements
a. None

3. Agenda
a. No additions

4. Minutes
a. Revisions
i. 4.b committees reports and personal – amend to librarian, not archivist
b. Motion to approve minutes as amended.
c. Motion accepted.

5. Old Business – Committee Reports
a. Budget: RN – Funded programs for discussions, and Winter/Spring
b. Professional Discussion: RN – Professional Discussions/Brown Bag
i. Topics for discussions/brown bag discussion
ii. Action: topics for brown bags due by Friday
iii. Daniel Tsang discussion still TBD
iv. Action: Send email for volunteers for Daniel Tsang discussion
c. Upcoming Programs: CC – Updates on January Programs
i. SM – Seth Rosenfeld, Subversives Lecture, 21st of January
ii. CC – Prof. Begonia reading, The Hammer of Witches: a historical novel, 22nd of January.
d. Committee on Personnel: CA – Nothing to report.
e. Committee on Committees, Rules, Jurisdiction, Elections: SS – Nothing to report.
f. Committee on Professional Governance: JL – Draft of the PAMs 2.1, 2.2 are not finished yet.
g. Committee on Research and Professional Development: JM – By end of this week, the grants awarded will be announced. A second call for presentation grants due March 2 nd will follow the next week.
h. Committee on Programs: PSM – Nothing to report.
i. Committee on Diversity: CA – Nothing to report.
j. LAUCR Webmaster: YK – Nothing to report.
k. LAUC-R System wide representatives: SS – Have not met yet. CA – LAUC system wide website redesign almost finalized.
l. RN – Met with Jose Wudka
i. Informed about open access policies
ii. Updated on librarian representatives to academic senate committees.
iii. Action: committee on how to proceed with new committee assignments.

6. New Business
a. LAUC-R committee on professional governance
i. DR – Question regarding compensation and redefinitions within the LAUC-R changes of the by-laws.
b. CACLS
i. No discussion.
ii. JL – Question to membership of effectiveness of CACLS review meetings.
iii. TM – Found sessions very helpful and informative.
iv. EM – Gave him groundwork and basics of the review process as a R.I.
vi. YS – Was very informative and learned new information.
c. Topics for upcoming LAUC-R Meetings
i. Membership Issues: Curators/Archivists
ii. UL’s Speaker Series
iii. Peer Review Process Changes – CC: Suggests forming small group to form a recommendation and/or position. MB – Notes from past discussion should be utilized. Action: Committee formed in meeting and members volunteered.

7. System wide LAUC Issues
a. Redesign of LAUC Website.
b. LAUC system wide inaugural newsletter –
c. LAUC increases system-level advising –
d. New open access deposit –
e. New UCLAS webinar series – First was delivered in the Fall.
f. New UC Library Advisory Structure Blog – New blog. RN – Should we leave group feedback on topics or posts? EM – Suggests giving issues, comments, or questions to SAG representatives.
g. Spring Assembly Topics –

8. Open Floor
SM – Concerned with the downsizing of the profession UC wide. AS – Question on the
use of Librarian Professionals within UCB. PSH – Suggests posing this question to Mitchell
Brown during visit. SM – Asks Rhonda to bring up issue of downsizing of librarians to other
LAUC presidents. MY – Calls attention to non-librarians selecting materials, also those with
PhDs selecting materials. Brings up example of Santa Cruz whose librarian numbers were
severely decreased. RN – A 2002 report says they have the same numbers as the 90’s.

9. Proposals for next meeting
SM – Asking to bring up issue of librarian attrition to system wide levels. SM – bring
together an informal group to analyze librarian to student ratios and populations.

Meeting Adjourned: 3:00pm

Membership Meeting: Nov. 12, 2014

November 12 th , 2014, 2:30-3:45pm

Rivera Library Room 403Members Present: Julie Mason, Alexandra Dolan-Mescal, Susan Seifried, Marie Bronoel, Melissa Cardenas-Dow, Ying Shen, Michele Potter, Julie Ree, Judy Lee,
Sharon K. Scott, Eric Milenkiewicz, Michael Yonezawa, Carla Arbagey, David Rios, Anthony Sanchez, Rhonda Neugebauer, Tiffany Moxham, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Jessica Greene, Christina Cicchetti, Manuel Urrizola


I. Old Business
1. Minutes September approved.
2. Minutes October approved, accepted as modified.
3. Committee roster, amended to reflect, “invited.”
SKS: Question on bylaws to determine the rules regarding approving the committee roster by quorum of LAUCR. Exec board can approve to have it in the bylaws.
4. Reports
a. Committee on Committee: SKS: waiting for the charge and then will have first meeting of the year.
b. Committee on Personnel: CA: Met and approved Kline Science Fiction Librarian.
c. Committee on Professional Governance: JL: Sent out second revision of the PAM 2.1,2.1 to principals last Friday. Waiting for response. Committee has delegated communication with LAUCR through the chair rather than the membership.
d. Committee on Research and Professional Development: JM: Will meet next week. Has received first round of funding and proposal grants.
e. Committee on Programs: PSM: Have already met and developed ideas for programs for the upcoming year. Several confirmed programs such as “Follow the Item,” and a reading from a College of Education faculty member. Membership invited to bring ideas to the committee. Programs will be advertised via the newsletter and listserv.
f. Committee on diversity: CA: Chair attended System wide conference call. More local chapters are starting diversity committees. Looking at the redesign of the LAUC website.
RN: There will be a systemwide email to create a directory at the systemwide level.
MY: Confirmed the email and future plans at the systemwide level. g. Committee on mentoring: JG: Have not met yet. Has had one student contact for mentorship.
5. Report on Academic Senate Committees
a. Carla Arbagey: Nothing to report currently.
b. Michael Yonezawa: Nothing to report currently. Was unable to go to meeting, but agenda reviewed the strategic plan, as well as Katherine Kott. Committee will consider removing “Scholarly Communications” from the title. Will continue to pursue consistent invites to meetings.
c. Steven Mandeville-Gamble: Not present for report.
d. Additional Committees: SKS: Finalized list of possible academic senate committee meetings for LAUC-R membership to join.
RN: Adds two more examples.
JG: Question to see if a LAUC membership guest would like to serve as a guest on
academic senate committee.
MY and JG: Clarifies library’s relation to the physical resources planning committee as having a voice or information in the face of any ideas or plans for the library facilities or campus wide.
6. LAUC-R Parliamentarian Report
a. MY: Nothing to report
7. LAUC-R Webmaster Report
a. Yoko Kudo: Not present
8. LAUC-R Systemwide representations
a. SKS: No conference calls this year.
b. Julie Mason: No conference calls this year. Committee is in process of reviewing the first round of proposals. Will not be funding all the grants in first round, in order to save funds for second round. Can resubmit for second round.c. CA: See above.

II. New Business
9. LAUCR standing committee charges: forthcoming.
10. CACLS: Michele Potter: members are encouraged to attend meetings relating to reviews. MY: Discussion of distinguished librarian status and its possibility amongst the APM and MOU.
RN: Kuei Chiu will contact all for update.
11. Programs Update
a. Julie in December.
b. Dan Tsang from UCI will be in Winter/Spring.
12. Discussion of Reference Services to LAUC-R Membership:
a. LAUCR should approach department affected to bring issue up in future meeting.
13. Proposal to discuss professional issues and topics within LAUCR a. Fifteen minutes per meeting.
JG: Is fifteen minutes enough? Is LAUC the appropriate forum.
MB: The discussion can continue outside of the meeting and spread amongst departments via email or blogs.
ADM: Libstaff website will be revamped to have more collaborative capabilities, expected July.
MP: Also could be a topic encouraged via the listserv.
JG: Concerned about additional email.
MY: Can be a virtual brown bag discussion. Emphasis should be on informal idea or information gathering.
14. System-wide Issues
a. Open Access policy passed in 2013, is now going to be applied to librarians as well as faculty. Rhonda would like to encourage people to deposit into e-scholarship.
TM: May not apply to non-senate academic faculty as a mandatory edict.
MP and TM: Discussion regarding the role of librarians in training faculty and mediating the mandatory depositing of materials.
KI: Suggests a workshop in the future.
MB: Are there any point people to contact at CDL?

Meeting Adjourned at 3:45

Membership Meeting: Oct. 14, 2014

October 14 th , 2014, 2:00-3:15pm
Rivera Library Room 403

Present: Virginia Schilling, David Rios, Rhonda Neugebauer, Krista Ivy, Carla Arbagey, Sharon K. Scott, Kuei Chiu, Anthony Sanchez, Janet Moores, Michael Yonezawa, Marie Bronoel, Ying Shen, Denise Kane, Julie Mason, Jessica Greene

Meeting Called to Order 2:06PM

Old Business
1. Introduction for new members and guests.
a. New member, Denise Kane, Sci Ref.
b. New guest, Virginia “Ginger” Schilling, CBSR.

2. New Events
a. LAUC-R Support of Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon 9-10 PM Oct. 16
b. LAUC-R Supports collaboration with Colorado State University on water topics for a Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon on Oct. 21 st . Organized/Hosted by Jessica Greene.
c. Open Access Week.

3. Approval of Minutes – Tabled

4. LAUC-R Membership/Guest Rosters updated and sent out with November meeting invite.

5. Committee Assignments and Appointments
a. Manuel Urrizola and Patricia Smith-Hunt were appointed Program Chairs.
b. Representatives appointed to Academic Senate Committee – CA and MY.
c. Marie Bronoel appointed secondary delegate.
d. Three nominees sent to UL for program series: Patricia Smith-Hunt, Manuel Urrizola, and Jessica Greene.
i. First event, Oct. 23 2014 Stanford’s Born Digital/Forensics Lab ii. Should LAUC-R provide promotion/advertising?
e. Parliamentarian chosen – Michael Yonezawa. f. Yoko Kudo still web developer.
g. Committee Membership approved by membership.
Correction: Carla Arbagey also Systemwide chair to Diversity Committee as well as local chair.

New Business
1. Professional Governance Committee Report
a. In July received a charge to review existing PAM 2.1, 2.2 to match new MOU’s language.
i. Completed both documents, submitted on August 7 th to UL and AULs.
ii. Goals were to be used in conjunction with the Call.
iii. UL reviewed the initial revision of documents with additional comments from AUL David Rios.
iv. Future meetings scheduled to finalize before the next review cycle.
Discussion: Long hours, meetings, and lengthy edits were required to fulfill the revision of the PAM 2.1, 2.2.

2. CACLS Report
a. Michele Potter absent to report updates. The Call was revised and distributed. Copies are available on the library’s intranet.

3. Programs Report
a. Julie Mason – Presentation on US Trade and Patent Office on December 9 th .
b. Daniel Tsang – UCI Librarian discussion and lecture

4. Discussion of Academic Senate Representatives
RN: What are the roles of the librarians, especially in relation to the designated guest, the UL, as library representative? Chair would like representatives to take an active role during meetings.
Correction: Agenda II.6 Academic Senate Chair, not President.
CA: The procedure for asking for academic senate committee representative members conflicts with LAUC by-laws. MY: LAUC advises to UL and does not report as a subdivision. UL is also a member of LAUC. Academic Senate Committee procedures have it wrong presently. There needs to be a clarification and solid case for LAUC-R to be the entity to put forward the names of representatives, with consultation to the UL.

5. LAUC-R Communications Channels
a. Listserv
b. Blog.
i. Utilization of blog — open call for ideas or submissions.

6. System Wide Issues
a. Other campuses looking at membership issues
b. LAUC assembly April 17 th 2015 UC San Diego

7. Topics for Next LAUC-R Meeting
a. Membership Issues

Membership Meeting: Sep. 9, 2014

September 9 th , 2014, 1:00-2:15pm
Rivera Library Room 403

Present: Carla Arbagey, David Rios, Rhonda Neugebauer, Kuei Chiu, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Michael Yonezawa, Patricia Garcia-Stumpf, Tiffany Moxham, Michele Potter, Gwido Zlatkes, Sharon K. Scott, Yoko Kudo, Jessica Greene, Krista Ivy, Christina Cicchetti, Steve Mitchell, Ying Shen, Manuel Urrizola, Anthony Sanchez (Recorder)

Meeting began at 1:07 PM

Regular Business
1. Meeting Called to Order
2. Minutes put forward for approval, Sharon Moves to Approve, David Rios 2 nd–unanimous approval.

Old Business
1. Jose Wudka Academic Senate Faculty Chair Meeting with LAUCR Chair Michele Potter
a. Dr. Wudka becomes familiar with LAUCR, understands scope and purpose of group.
b. Establishes “guest” status of LAUCR members, specifically with the committee on courses, and committee on libraries. Wudka asks what the advantage of having a line level librarian rather than UL SMG. Potter responds with balanced approach of having front line librarians deal with library issues directly and also having more feedback and input opportunities.
c. Benefits of building relationships with faculty members, i.e., help, research assistance, and collaboration.
d. Wudka recommends the library post more news items on the website regarding any policy changes within the library, cancellations of periodicals or monographs. Also recommends changes to library liaison program to meet with department chairs instead of chosen liaison faculty.
e. Wudka plans on resurrecting the college council. Each college had one previously, also recommends a librarian to be a guest of each council. f. Wudka will address these issues with the guest/representative and brainstormed more committee appointments. g. Wudka recommends having the incoming Chair of LAUCR to be introduced by the outgoing to the senate faculty chair.

2. Five Year Professional Development MOU
a. Process is simplified to speed up approval. No longer requires UL SMG’s signature for certain professional development activities.
b. Rules for reallocation of monies for room sharing adjusted to “recommended” from required.
c. $300.00 cap for professional memberships revoked.

3. PAM Revisions 2.1, 2.2
a. Judy Lee on vacation. Rhonda and Judy will be contacted by administration in the future regarding the PAM revisions.

4. The Call 2014/15 Revisions.
a. Revised to match the MOU.
b. Changes in document include new changes in contract with regards to rank and steps to rank and salary points, respectively.
c. Possible future changes include rules for accelerated review.
d. Questions about non-represented librarians to be resolved later.

5. Proposed of “Discussion re: Possible Recommendation to Revise CALL,” dated Aug. 13, 2014 by Steve MG.
a. VPAP feels it is essential for librarians to report to outside for impartiality and neutrality of the person being reviewed. There are no parallel structures for academic review between faculty and librarians.
MY: In regards to the meeting with the VPAP were the following covered:
Will librarians get an electronic review?
Response: Was not asked. Did every instance of distinguished process get removed from the call?
Response: John Trumble notes that there are no plateau steps for librarians. Trumble recommends looking at a quinquennial cycle.
SS: The MOU had language regarding plateau steps previously, UC wide discussion debates their existence or non-existence.
Discussion continues with the benefits of plateau steps.

6. Action Item: Annual Reports to be emailed to Michele.

7. Changeover of LAUCR chair from Michele to Rhonda.

New Business
1. Introduction of Executive Board.

2. Draft proposal for a new structure of UC collection groups. a. Email feedback to Rhonda by Monday Sept. 15 th 2014.
b. Rhonda will send feedback on behalf of LAUC-R, while Kuei will send feedback on behalf of CDNET.
MY: Comments regarding the reasons and the purpose of the structural changes.
SM: Feels that the structural changes reflect lower FTE for library departments.

3. Rhonda’s Impressions of the Year and Goals/Announcements
a. Improving staff morale, i.e., sharing and listening, fairness, advocacy of the professions and librarians, contribution and collaboration.
b. Transforming the library environment into an intellectually engaging and transparent organization.
c. Greening the library and the profession by reducing our carbon footprint.
d. Transparency and inclusion.
e. Proactive and regular communication.
f. LAUCR personnel data initiative: be more proactive in the data keeping of rank of salary of new hires past and present.
g. LAUCR archives initiative: keeping the archives up to date and regular document are deposited. Archivists will be contacted for professional guidance.
h. LAUCR contribution to the Library Newsletter, editor in chief Carla Arbagey.
i. Website Initiative: Update errors and review changes. Yoko Kudo will continue as web master.
SS: Recommends the Bylaws committee to review any procedures on archiving LAUCR documents.

4. Committee Chair Appointments
a. Programs chair currently vacant.

5. Systemwide report
a. Census report and roster has been established (31 members reported).
b. Future discussion of the curatorship series to be had.

6. Senate Committee Guests. a. Rhonda will be proactive and get guests officially on the roster for academic senate to representatives.
MY: (LAUCR representative to the library academic senate committee and was a member of the system wide committee) Recommends the LAUCR chair be a permanent member, despite the 2 year appointment. Requires further discussion TBA.
SM: Concerned about the health of the profession. Attrition is being seen at many levels. LAUC’s responsibility should include the monitoring of the health of the profession at the system-wide level. This is touched upon in LAUC’s mission statement.
Response: PSH: Recommends looking at a diversity report that was taken years back. MY: Headcounts were taken by LAUC system wide however the person doing that has since retired 5-6 years past. CA: Diversity survey will be carried out in the future. Also a climate survey on the UCOP website is available.

7. Future agenda items: Theoretical discussion on the profession. What does it mean
to be a librarian professional?
MY: Refer to LAUC profession paper 5. CA: Should include all staff.

8. Committee Preference Form: turn in by today or tomorrow.

9. Farewell to Trish Garcia-Stumpf.

Membership Meeting: July 8, 2014

July 8, 2014
Orbach Room 240

Present: Melissa Conway, Trish Stumpf-Garcia, Anthony Sanchez, Patricia Smith-Hunt, Tiffany Moxham, Steve Mitchell, Sharon Scott, Marie Bronoel, Rhonda Neugebauer, Judy Lee, Christine Cicchetti, Michele Potter, Carla Arbagey (recorder)
Guests: Julie Ree

Standing Business
1. Welcome new LAUC-R member Tiffany Moxham
a. Ronda will give Tiffany a LAUC orientation
2. Agenda review – Michele gave a brief overview of the agenda
a. Steve asked if there was ever a response from the University Librarian (UL) regarding the LAUC-R letter concerning the Strategic Plan
i. Michele did request a response from the UL from the after the last LAUC-R membership meeting, but has not received a response yet
b. Tiffany asked about the Strategic Plan – it is available on the web